Makaira SEa 50-2 Warped Spool

Started by handi2, October 06, 2017, 07:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

I have 2 that came in with problems. Both are fairy new and the one with spool problems has not been used.

The unused reel has no freespool. I backed off the left plate screws to get freespool and then saw the spool is Warped like a bent bicycle wheel. The video wouldn't work.

I assume this happened when spooling but both reels were spooled at the same time by the same person

I will remove the line and see what happens. Maybe the spool will relax. Maybe not.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

bent spool shaft or cracked spool?????
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

I will find out when I get the shop back together.

I saw in one post on the same reel that a grinding noise was coming from one of the dog springs hitting the gear. This may be the case on the other reel. It seems fine right now but it did happen to him while fishing. I cant make it do it.
Gulf Breeze, FL

boon

Cold forged alloy spool... I can't see it being from spooling, I feel like there's a long list of parts that would fail before you generated enough force to damage a spool of this kind. Stranger things have happened, though.

handi2

I verified today that it is the spool not the spool shaft. The unused spool is warped. This Makaira spool is not as thick as the International or Tiagra spools. Maybe it came that way. Maybe it was the spooling.
Gulf Breeze, FL

jg125

That is rare I seen other reels like a penn 320gti with a bent spool shaft never the spool it self not saying it could of been a null that got past by.

handi2

More woes on the other reel.

He complained of a grinding sound and couldn't pull line out in freespool. When the right side was taken off it was full of metal shavings!! I operated the reel in low and high and it felt like new.

Now it has a bump in both gears...

I quit for today ???

Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Now that I can zoom in on the pictures it looks like its all coming from the click button and its mount. The other one doesn't have this problem.
Gulf Breeze, FL