alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Reel Capacity Estimator
Fishing Reel Repair by Alan Tani
July 31, 2014, 05:28:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reel Capacity Estimator  (Read 10023 times)
Norcal Pescador
Redding, CA
Global Moderator

« on: March 09, 2011, 08:03:18 PM »

Here is an Excel spreadsheet that will let you estimate line capacities, including top shots and backing.  Works great for mono and braided lines - I've used it many times and it's fairly accurate and it can be saved on your computer for use any time.
Rob

http://www.osanglers.org/uploads/Line_Estimator.xls

Rob

Classic USA Penns - 9MF 100 500L (2x)501 113H 113HN 114H 50V  Smiley  Newell S220-5, 300-C (99) and some freshwater stuff, too. Grin

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD
Whiteman

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 05:11:33 PM »

Thanks! That's handy.

Visit http:\\www.bbbalc.com
SoCalAngler

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:58:27 PM »

Accurate reels also has a great line calculater, just plug in the numbers and ta'da you get a very good result. I have used in the past and it seems very accurate to me.

www.accuratefishing.com/support/linecal.php
Cowbass

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 06:56:55 PM »

I find the accurate one to be not so "accurate".

SHUT UP AND FISH!!!
treidm

Reid

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 11:45:18 PM »

Just created a new calculator that just needs one known capacity & the corresponding line diameter
I made it in an EXCEL document
It has both Standard & Metric Capacity Calculators, along with mini-calculators for inch to mm, yard to meter, mm to inch & meter to yard conversions

Basically it takes half the diameter squared of known line, multiplies it by the known capacity, then divides that by half the diameter squared of new line (A few other parameters are in formula so it keeps all parameters within the same type)

If anyone would like to give it a try, shoot a pm, and I could email one out

....Reid
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:27:08 AM by treidm » Logged

"If capitalism is fair then unionism must be. If men have a right to capitalize their ideas and the resources of their country, then that implies the right of men to capitalize their labor."

--Frank Lloyd Wright
Mooki

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 04:18:00 AM »

Sounds interesting.
I've also compiled an excel, but probably not half as advanced as the one you're describing, mine's solely aimed at europeans (only mm ratings, no lbs).
The thing I found is that a braid rated .32mm can differ (upwards) somewhere up to 40% thicker than stated - so my doc will give a "capacity range" loosely based on the amount of line I can actually fit on a reel Smiley
Would be fun comparing with your calculations though, I'll drop you a PM with my email adress.

Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...
Chris Gatorfan

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 04:54:43 AM »

Question. Do these calculators take into consideration whether or not the lined where properly spooled. That makes a huge difference in actual capacity of line on a reel.

Wilson's Reel Upgrades.
Robert Janssen

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 06:44:53 AM »

I think they are all founded on the basic premise of all line being perfectly spooled.

Math is math; ymmv.

Bunnlevel Sharker
Firearms Group

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 11:28:23 AM »

That's why line faculties will always be inaccurate, I can fit a ton more specta when it's wet packed

Grayson Lanier
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: