Reel Capacity Estimator

Started by Norcal Pescador, March 10, 2011, 04:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

Here is an Excel spreadsheet that will let you estimate line capacities, including top shots and backing.  Works great for mono and braided lines - I've used it many times and it's fairly accurate and it can be saved on your computer for use any time.
Rob

http://www.osanglers.org/uploads/Line_Estimator.xls << no longer working
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Whiteman

SoCalAngler

Accurate reels also has a great line calculater, just plug in the numbers and ta'da you get a very good result. I have used in the past and it seems very accurate to me.

www.accuratefishing.com/support/linecal.php

Cowbass

I find the accurate one to be not so "accurate".
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

treidm

Just created a new calculator that just needs one known capacity & the corresponding line diameter
I made it in an EXCEL document
It has both Standard & Metric Capacity Calculators, along with mini-calculators for inch to mm, yard to meter, mm to inch & meter to yard conversions

Basically it takes half the diameter squared of known line, multiplies it by the known capacity, then divides that by half the diameter squared of new line (A few other parameters are in formula so it keeps all parameters within the same type)

If anyone would like to give it a try, shoot a pm, and I could email one out

....Reid
"If capitalism is fair then unionism must be. If men have a right to capitalize their ideas and the resources of their country, then that implies the right of men to capitalize their labor."

--Frank Lloyd Wright

Mooki

Sounds interesting.
I've also compiled an excel, but probably not half as advanced as the one you're describing, mine's solely aimed at europeans (only mm ratings, no lbs).
The thing I found is that a braid rated .32mm can differ (upwards) somewhere up to 40% thicker than stated - so my doc will give a "capacity range" loosely based on the amount of line I can actually fit on a reel :)
Would be fun comparing with your calculations though, I'll drop you a PM with my email adress.
Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...

Chris Gatorfan

Question. Do these calculators take into consideration whether or not the lined where properly spooled. That makes a huge difference in actual capacity of line on a reel.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Robert Janssen

I think they are all founded on the basic premise of all line being perfectly spooled.

Math is math; ymmv.

Bunnlevel Sharker

That's why line faculties will always be inaccurate, I can fit a ton more specta when it's wet packed
Grayson Lanier

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Chris Gatorfan on October 21, 2013, 12:54:43 PM
Question. Do these calculators take into consideration whether or not the lined where properly spooled. That makes a huge difference in actual capacity of line on a reel.

The calculators are not precise. But they will get you in the ballpark better than taking a wild guess. I spool my braid on with 6-8 pounds of drag resistance as Jerry Brown recommends. As Bunnlevel and Robert said, there are variables that affect capacity. That's why the one I started this thread with is called an "Estimator".
Rob

Norcal Pescador

I'm looking for a new calculator since the original is no longer usable.

If anyone has a good one, other than the Accurate version, let's give it a try.  ;)
Rob

grekim

I just put together a little program that let's you enter in spool width, inside and outside spool diameter, and line diameter and gives you the reel's line capacity.   I think it would be nice to add some presets for classic and maybe modern popular reels.  So, it would be nice to have a preset for 20# mono (even though there is variation) and then select a peerless 209, for example.  I haven't seen a chart yet that has inside and outside dimensions.  I can measure peerless and longbeach series if there is nothing available.  Any thoughts or suggestions?
Here is a link for downloads: http://www.acousticrefuge.com/spool_calc.htm
At some point I will make data files to be used as presets.
Educating fish on every trip

Bill B

This looks be promising.  Thank you for putting it together.  I will start playing with it.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Rickski

I tried it and that's a sweet calculator.  Thanks. :)
Rick