349/349H Frame kits.

Started by Cortez_Conversions, June 17, 2016, 09:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on January 29, 2018, 05:07:31 PM
Quote from: swill88 on January 29, 2018, 04:40:29 PM
Thanks Tom. Can you describe the 'indicator' for us and how it works? Please?

Yep! I'll post a video so everyone can see it.

Excellent! Have a Newell 349 spool that has a bent shaft, that I have attempted to straighten, with only moderate success. Learning how to set up and measure the spool runout from a master machinist would be most helpful.

eguinn

hi, to really check the run out on a spool you will need to have or have access to a, precision surface plate, small set of precision ground v blocks, a good .0001 or .0005 test indicator, & a height gage or good transfer stand. Ok to check the run out of your spool you want to set your spool in the V blocks only on the spindle ends, move your transfer stand/ height gage with the test indicator attached over the spool ends, this should be raised up so it is not touching the spindle ends, try to center the needle point on the center of the spindle shaft where the bearings ride, bring the test indicator down until the needle point just touch the top of the spindle shaft but bring it down far enough so that you are using about .008 to .010 of travel or movement, or until you have full contact with the tip of the needle on the test indicator, once you touch the top of the spool shaft zero out your test indicator so that the needle sit at +0- on the dial, now you are going to slowly rotate the spool, starting with the right side of the spool, being careful to Only move just the spool, you don't want to move the v blocks or test indicator in any way, ok let say you get a reading of  +.0047 after you rotate the spool 1 full revolution, what this is telling you is you have a high spot of .0047, if it was a -.0047 then you would have a low spot on your spool shaft, mark the 0 point on the spool somewhere, then mark the high or low spot. Now without moving anything but your transfer stand or height gage move it around to where you can repeat this process on the other end, what you are shooting for is to have 0 run out at this point, from 1 end to the other end of the spool, once you have this then you can move on to checking the flanges or rim of the spool, you want both ends of the spindle to be exactly the same as far as size goes also. You check the rim of the spool in the exact same way you checked the spindle, my self I only allow a total run out of .002, if it's a high spot the you might be able to sand it very lightly in the area that is high. FWIW this whole process is called checking Concentricity.

Rothmar2

Thank you for that description. I might be able to get access to the required precision measuring equipment.
So far, I have used my mini-lathe to turn the spool, and have a dial gauge, but understand the limitations in precision with this method. I have been able to get it reasonably close, but still get notice-able flange wobble at the left side of the spool. I can live with it, but would like to get it much closer to perfect. I think my biggest problem is making controlled corrections without "overshooting" it, and having to start over again.

Cortez_Conversions

Concentricity and perpendicularity are the two keys. Hopefully next week I'll have time to do some inspection.
The electricians are supposedly showing up today to wire the mill and compressor. Fingers crossed they show....
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Swami805

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and buying the kit, I have a NOS newell spool and looking for advice on which 349 to get for a donor.There seems to be several different models but are they all the same inside? Also what custom parts are available? I know with the 500's and 113H I just get the few parts needed from penn parts instead of getting a donor but I don't see much available for the 349. Thanks Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Swami805 on February 17, 2018, 02:09:14 AM
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and buying the kit, I have a NOS newell spool and looking for advice on which 349 to get for a donor.There seems to be several different models but are they all the same inside? Also what custom parts are available? I know with the 500's and 113H I just get the few parts needed from penn parts instead of getting a donor but I don't see much available for the 349. Thanks Sheridan

Sheridan, I have you covered cheap for stock Penn parts.  I don't have anything trick, but Lee does.

Swami805

Thanks Randy, Holler when you're passing thru.

Keta

Quote from: Swami805 on February 17, 2018, 02:09:14 AM

349 and 349H are the same, the gears and yoke are the only difference and they are interchangeable.  I prefer the single le4ver 349's over the double lever.  Right now I am searching for 12-349 yokes to build a low speed 349, the 12-39H are more common.

I am out of 5+1 349 and 349H drag washers but have 3 SS AR dogs left.   If I get commitments for 4 or 5 sets of drag washers I will make another cutting, Smooth Drag should have a few sets still too.

Put in a 113H gear sleeve.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mikeysm

Lee how many yokes do you need. I have bag of 349 yokes. I need your address to send you the pinions and brass spool. I will throw in the yokes. I keep deleting your address . I have parts Sheridan Let me know if you need anything. Just consider it a down payment if I need another rod done. I even have nos handles. Lee I have some ideas on a few parts to make so these parts  should cover it.

Mike

Swami805

I have a black 2 lever 349 I've used once so it should have nice internals. Sounds like the upgrades are a drag kit, an SS gear sleeve, SS dog and I'm pretty much set. Good to know it's the same gear sleeve as a 113h so a good selection of handles.
I think I'll stick with the gear set so I have one narrow reel with a low gear.
I'll PM my contact info for the dog Lee, thanks for the help.
Thanks Mike I think I'm good on parts, but I'll holler if I need something.
Sheridan

Bryan Young

Tom, was Chris Gambelin your inspector?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Keta

Quote from: Swami805 on February 17, 2018, 07:20:53 PM
..... Good to know it's the same gear sleeve as a 113h so a good selection of handles....

The 349 gear sleeve has a larger diameter ratchet than the 113H but they both use "type B" handles.  The smaller ratchet does not cause engagement problems with a 15-349 AR dog.

Quote from: mikeysm on February 17, 2018, 06:18:32 PM
Lee how many yokes do you need. I have bag of 349 yokes. I need your address to send you the pinions and brass spool. I will throw in the yokes. I keep deleting your address . I have parts Sheridan Let me know if you need anything. Just consider it a down payment if I need another rod done. I even have nos handles. Lee I have some ideas on a few parts to make so these parts  should cover it.
Mike

I have 6 8-349 main gears and will have 6 349 "gear sets" when I get the gears you sent.  I am waiting to see if 4 I found are available but I need 6 to go with the gear sets. I have a few new 12-349H yokes, 14-349 AR dog springs and a bunch of new Penn 15-349 AR dogs if you need some.

I have enough replacement parts to get 4 more of my 349 "parts reels" working and I will put a 349 gear sets on one of my halibut reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mikeysm

Here is my Penn 349h left hand reel just finished. I was going to use a special dog from Lee but what do you know. Tom machined out both sides so no need for Lee's dog unless I want to double dog the reel. I used the blue tiburon spool.

Mike

swill88