tom hryniuk's 146 squidder frames and side plates

Started by alantani, January 03, 2009, 01:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I'm gonna fish it a few times then take a loop out.   I have the springs from Scotts but liked the idea of the spring being captured in the dog.   I never realized the different sized heads but had to go back to the screw bin for another two.  It wasn't a problem and I prefer the holes not being over sized.  I'm saving up now for a 99 kit.  Holding my breath for you to make a green tho.

mhc

Firstly, nice looking reel JRD, the green ones look great.

Quote from: JRD on February 18, 2017, 02:10:01 AM
I have the springs from Scotts but liked the idea of the spring being captured in the dog.
So do I, you didn't mention which spring you used JRD but I used a 14-500 jigmaster spring, it's a bit smaller diameter than the 14-99 replacement squidder spring but still slightly larger than the hole in the dog. I gave the end few loops a slight squeeze with pliers and pushed it in with a 3" nail I had trimmed to make a pin punch. After it was in place (in the dog) I cut three coils off the end, four if you include the flat one for the jigmaster post. The dog is still pretty firm, I think I'll take another loop off when I have it apart next.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

JRD

Quote from: mhc on February 19, 2017, 10:31:17 AM
Firstly, nice looking reel JRD, the green ones look great.

Quote from: JRD on February 18, 2017, 02:10:01 AM
I have the springs from Scotts but liked the idea of the spring being captured in the dog.
So do I, you didn't mention which spring you used JRD but I used a 14-500 jigmaster spring, it's a bit smaller diameter than the 14-99 replacement squidder spring but still slightly larger than the hole in the dog. I gave the end few loops a slight squeeze with pliers and pushed it in with a 3" nail I had trimmed to make a pin punch. After it was in place (in the dog) I cut three coils off the end, four if you include the flat one for the jigmaster post. The dog is still pretty firm, I think I'll take another loop off when I have it apart next.

Mike

I ended up with an old Japanese copy of a 99 size reel.  Mostly junk except for the screws and this one stainless heavy spring that fit the squidder dog perfectly.  Cut in half it gave me two Springs.  I used the other in a tiburon framed 146.  I will have to give your method a try when I have some spare time, it's nice to have some spares ready to go.

mhc

I had a chance to try out my Cortez Classic 146 last weekend. The reel cast well, retrieved well, even handled the snags when I hooked Australia a few times - but it didn't catch any fish  ??? To be fair, the other reels on the boat didn't do much better.
We tried the estuary first;

Then an inshore rocky reef;

Then back up one of the creeks;

All in all I was very happy with the Cortez 146 - next trip will be better now that I have the new reel curse out of the way.  ;D

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Cortez_Conversions

Cool that you have such different areas to fish. One of the reasons I love the 146 Squidder is that it's well suited for all those different areas.
Thanks for sharing!
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

thorhammer

I finally got to fish one of mine on the Bahamas trip. Couldn't get the fish to hit jig but wow the thing casts a mile and is just slick as butta.....guess I need to build a red and a silver to round this out...

mo65

I'm on cloud nine...finally got the spare change together to build one of these smokin' kits...YEEHAW!!  ;D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: mo65 on June 08, 2017, 08:33:38 PM
   I'm on cloud nine...finally got the spare change together to build one of these smokin' kits...YEEHAW!!  ;D

Thanks Mo! I just packed it up, you should see it in a few days.
Tom
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

thorhammer

Mo, you're gonna love this platform. I just recco'd to Dave also. He's not far from me.

Cortez_Conversions

Hello all,
This weekend I was assembling a few new builds and noticed the dogs are super tight in the clicker assembly.

It looks like the last batch of Penn dogs are a little bit thicker than usual.

I will make some thinner washers for a bit more clearance. I'm really tight on time, so this won't happen until July.

If you are running into any other issues with your builds, please let me know! I can't address them if I don't know about them.

Tom

mo65

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on June 12, 2017, 01:30:51 PM
This weekend I was assembling a few new builds and noticed the dogs are super tight in the clicker assembly.

I started test fitting a few things on my squidder kit this morning...so as to have no surprises pop up after fitting the bridge and gears. I started with the clicker assembly since I saw Tom's lat post. Mine fit like a glove...maybe I got one of the older batch dogs...at any rate...clicker works great.
   I also noted Sal is right...the sideplate/spool clearance is insane! I've never seen such a tight tolerance without a rub. I could spool 8lb. test on this thing and fish crappies if my casting skill matched Tom's manufacturing skill!
   The bearing cups are top shelf too. Bearings slip in slightly snug...not tight at all. I greased the cups before inserting bearings, so servicing will be a snap.
   The fit and finish of the side plates and frame just couldn't be better. I didn't know these were more compact than a stock squidder. Tom's reel palms very well.
   OK...time to start stripping my donor reel.  8)

mo65

I assembled the bridge/gear stack today and tested everything. It's unbelievable how easily all the parts just slide into place. It seems like there's always a stubborn screw somewhere on these custom builds...not with this kit!
   I read the earlier comments about the different dog springs and their fitment. I used the new sub that Scott's is offering, the 14C-140-SUB. It slides right into the hole and works great. It produces a tight snappy action...I like the dog to sound crisp and this one is there!

thorhammer

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on June 28, 2017, 01:39:48 AM
Pic Mo!

Pics are coming...soon as my Motive Fab handle arrives. It's in the mail.

thorhammer