tom hryniuk's 146 squidder frames and side plates

Started by alantani, January 03, 2009, 01:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhawk

Mo, is Tom's squidders lighter than a squidder w/accu-plates, n tib frame?

mo65

I can't answer that Fishhawk, but I'm sure someone here can. I can say it feels great in my hands...much more comfortable that a stock 146.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

OK sports fans...here she is. I'll just post one pic here and give a better look at it later in the Photo Gallery. I like this Ice Blue more every day. The finish is flawless, I'll freak if I scratch this one! I used a Penn spool, Motive Fab handle, and a Pro Challenger 45mm knob. Under the hood is one of Tom's ss gear sleeve and dog, Bryan's 5-stack drag kit, a brand new pinion gear, yoke, jack, and eccentric from Scott's, and a very low mileage moly steel main out of an old Delmar 285. The main and pinion meshed like they were old friends...surprisingly smooth! Now I need to find a rod worthy of this reel...I just don't have anything that fits the bill. 8)

steelfish

simply beautiful Mo.

whats the intended use for this reel on the river?

cats?
The Baja Guy

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Swami805

Very nice, that dark blue is beautiful, those cortez levers look great , no rudder bands or plastic covers. I'd have a hard time fishing that one too! Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Quote from: steelfish on June 30, 2017, 12:11:45 AM
simply beautiful Mo.

whats the intended use for this reel on the river?

cats?

Ya know, I haven't even decided exactly what I want to use it for yet. It would be fully capable to catfish, but no way am I dragging this gem down through the rip rap! It would be great for hybrid stripers. Maybe fish it from the pier at the dam. My brother and I are talking about doing some trips to the coast...I'm sure this one would accompany me for that.

steelfish

Quote from: mo65 on June 30, 2017, 12:49:18 AM
........... but no way am I dragging this gem down through the rip rap!.

thats the normal feeling everybody with Toms creation get after seeing the finished reel

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

I may have asked this before but what line & drag level can be had from these reels with out pushing them ? ...Jeff

Swami805

I fished mine last week with 50lb braid and a short top shot of 30lb floro. Caught a few fish on it but nothing real big. Worked flawless, great freespool but agonizing slow retrieve after fishing with newer gear. Casts like a dream and the drags smooth just would be better for close in slug fests not long soaking sardines with a bunch of line out like we were doing. Great reel.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JRD

Quote from: Rivverrat on November 04, 2017, 05:56:42 PM
I may have asked this before but what line & drag level can be had from these reels with out pushing them ? ...Jeff

I think the whole idea is customizing and pushing or no need to change from a stock squidder.  I would guess with all stock internals and spool your good to 30lb test at 10 lbs of drag.  I fish mine with 50lb spectra and a 40lb top shot.  With a 5 stack drag and steel gear turning a Tiburon spool I wouldn't be too afraid of pushing it to 15lbs of drag.

mo65

I'm putting together one of Tom's Squidder kits for my brother. He went with a simple silver/black theme because he wanted it to look good on a variety of different rods, depending on whether fishing from a boat, pier, on the bank. The simple colors look even better to me than a lot of flash...what a sweet reel! It has a moly steel main, ss gear sleeve, ss dog, Bryan's 5-stack kit, Pro Challenger spool, and a 12LT handle. I'm leaning more and more toward the Squidder as a perfect catfishing reel. 8)

broadway

Nice build, Mo!
I love my squidders from Tom. They sure fit the Bill for lots of different fishing.
I'm sore your bro is gonna love it.
Well done sir,
Dom

Rancanfish

That's an exact copy of mine. Silver 112H handle, steel gear.  I actually want another one. Maybe my xmas present to myself.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

The Penn Squidder, (along with the Jigmaster) is one of the most capable, dependable, and reliable reels for situations where strength and durability are called for.  Surf, boat, drop, jigging, and yanking big uglies out of their hiding places.

Tom's skillful creations of this discontinued Penn reel — have taken it to a whole new level.  Along with help from some of our other creative members like Bryan, Alan, Ted, and Alan C. — these reels are a real pleasure to fish with no worries.

Great job, Mike.

Hope your brother knows what it takes to deliver a reel like this.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.