Jigmaster 501 plates question

Started by basto, June 20, 2016, 03:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Just got a 501 that has a blank tail plate and 500 on the head plate. Can these be original plates?
thanks
Basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

RowdyW

Yes, original 500 plates. They are interchangeable. The difference between a 500 & a 501 is the stand, cross bars or posts, spool, & the numbers on the side plate.

basto

basto

Well here we go again, only in reverse this time. I just bought a 501 that has 501 moulded in the head plate , but has Jigmaster 500 on the tail plate.
Are these , or should I say, can these be the original plates to this reel.????
Everything on this reel is in very good condition and it is an early one with 3 piece spool.
Basto

Frank

When the 501 was being produced everyone I purchased new in the box had 501 inscribed on the gear side plate. I would imagine your original side plate was damaged at one point and replaced with the ubiquitous 500 plate as they are interchangeable. You will also find a lot of 146 Squidders with 140 side plates for the same reason.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

mo65

Hi Basto, many of the 501s came with a tail plate marked 500...mine is that way too. I think I would just put the plain tail plate on your 501 and slap the one marked 500 on your 500. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Hi Frank
I thought this may be the reason you explained. Thanks for your reply.
Basto

Hi Mo
Yes, I will go with your suggestion. Good idea.
thanks
Basto