Halibut/Veggie Skewers

Started by whalebreath, June 21, 2016, 02:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whalebreath

Decided to try & recreate the kind of dish I used to make in large quantities back in days of yore-here be proof.

Chunk of Halibut-thawed

Soy based Marinade -Soy sauce, water, grated Ginger, grated Garlic, Sesame Oil, Lemon juice, Ghanaian Chile powder, generous shots of Liquid Smoke

Thai Sweet Chile sauce marinade-TSCS, water, grated Ginger, Lime Juice, Peanut Butter, Black Pepper

Halibut chunks marinating-more about this later

Far too many veggies-note Potato is precooked

Assembled and ready to cook!

Thoroughly cooked-but not broiled

Cooling/perfuming the neighbourhood

As with all cooking this was a qualified success-not quite the dazzling dish of days gone by but I think my standards are higher now and I was sober when I ate.

The fish was marinated just a tad too long-one hour-when 20 minutes would have been lots; the Soy marinade can give the fish a bit of a leathery texture just the outside mind and the Lime in the TSCS had started to cook the protein  in the fish a la Ceviche.

Strongest flavour was the Soy/Garlic I can see it appealing to people who had been drinking the TSCS though had a 'moreish' appeal some nebulous combination of ingredients really worked well.

In the beginning I was just going to do Fish & Onions and that would have been fine finding too much info online meant a loss of focus OTOH there are lots of tasty leftovers.

Tiddlerbasher

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.