Stradic 5000FK Upgrade Question

Started by hfd7c, June 21, 2016, 03:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hfd7c

I was looking to do some upgrades to my Stradic 5000fk after reading a post on upgrades to a 3000fk. Can anyone tell me the size of the bearing to replace the plastic spool bushing (rd16157) Also the size bearing to replace the the bushing on the handle (rd14171).

Any thoughts on the stock bearings in this reel vs boca bearings?

johndtuttle

Quote from: hfd7c on June 21, 2016, 03:04:01 PM
I was looking to do some upgrades to my Stradic 5000fk after reading a post on upgrades to a 3000fk. Can anyone tell me the size of the bearing to replace the plastic spool bushing (rd16157) Also the size bearing to replace the the bushing on the handle (rd14171).

I don't have the sizes for you but I would say that any quality bearing should be fine. There is a guy on ebay (HPR Bearings) that will have the small ones you need. I wasn't able to find them on Boca's site.

http://stores.ebay.com/HPR-Bearings/Fishing-Reel-Bearings-/_i.html?_fsub=9565452010

hfd7c

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. I'm just getting started into a hobby of doing some upgrades to reels so this is new to me. I'm checking with HPR Bearings to see what info/bearings they can provide. Since I don't have the exact size of the bearing i'm looking for i'm unable to locate it on Boca or anyone else site since they don't list it under the reel. The problem is I'm not sure how comfortable I am in taking out the bushings and measuring them myself.

Does anyone know if the 5000FJ and 5000FK use the same parts. Not much is listed on sites for FK parts at this time but it seems things such as Carbontex Drag washers listed for the FJ are the correct part for the FK.

hfd7c

handi2

That's super expensive for 4 bearings that probably cost him $3.00 each.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

hfd7c

I agree but it is a business and without knowing the size of the bearings I need to purchase on my own thats what i'm left with.

johndtuttle

Quote from: hfd7c on June 21, 2016, 06:55:03 PM
I agree but it is a business and without knowing the size of the bearings I need to purchase on my own thats what i'm left with.

Buy the calipers, take the measurements and I am sure we can find the bearings at near the prices handi2 is suggesting. That way, you will save money next time. :)

minson

rear worm shaft bushing can be replace with 3x6x2.5 mm bearing.

handle knob bushing can be replace with 5x9x3 mm

exp2000

Quote from: hfd7c on June 21, 2016, 03:04:01 PM

Really I would not bother. Neither mod is going to provide any significant benefit.

A spool bearing only comes into play on a spinning reel  when line is being taken off the spool and when this is happening the drag is in play so whats the point really?

As for the handle bush, I wish more reels would feature this. Bearings are always rusting out here.

The drag washers on the one I just serviced were woven carbon fiber as standard and the stock bearings are just fine.

Like the current Saragosa SW series, this reel is a sweet upgrade over previous generations - actually it is a completely different reel.

You have made a great choice. My only advice is just enjoy.
~