Great Lakes Holiday 98

Started by Zimbass, June 23, 2016, 12:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zimbass

Been asked to clean up an old reel that a friend bought from an old lady that was down-sizing.

I did see something similar on one of Fred's posts, but it makes no sense to me as to why the reel points up, yet casts forward.

Anyone know what it's all about, and anyone have a schematic ?

Thanks

Terry.

(MODS please turn them around ! Thanks)
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

foakes

Hi Terry --

That old Great Lakes is a flip reel, or whirlaway reel.

Mid 1950's.

Generally, the operation of these involves pushing the spool casing forward, then backing the crank a quarter to a half turn to release the line for casting.

For retrieving, return to position where line is perpendicular to the rod.

Most of these are under-rod mounts.

A few variations -- but that may answer a question or two to get you started.

As you service this reel, some caution is advised --

These unique reels generally come apart with hidden tricks -- and if naturally forced -- breakage of impossible to find parts might be a sad result -- without a donor reel for spare parts.

No great value here, although I do see collector items increasing lately -- of course a box and paper do help.

Anything weird or unusual will have some collector value someday -- might not be in our lifetime though.

Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Zimbass

Thanks for your usual informative response Fred. I hear what you say, but still do not understand the rationale behind the manufacturers thinking.

Believe me when I say that I will be very cautious with this one !

Much appreciated.

Terry.

foakes

Quote from: Zimbass on June 24, 2016, 05:51:05 AM
I hear what you say, but still do not understand the rationale behind the manufacturers thinking.

The mid 50's were a time of new businesses, ideas, dreams, and hopes.

We were 10 years past a World War -- there was now more time and money for recreational pursuits like fishing, hunting, and camping.  The soldiers who went off to fight came back knowing about firearms, camping, the outdoors, etc..  They were raising families.

Along with that, anyone who liked fishing gear, and had a talent developed from machining products for the government war effort -- figured they could also make fishing reels, maybe...

So many started out of their garages, on a shoestring and a hope.  A few made it -- about 95% did not survive.

This was due to a lack of marketing, business savvy, competition, not having a selling network nationwide, and the inability to manufacture on a large scale -- for most.

And they realized that they needed "gimmicks" to get folks to buy their products -- particularly things that would make fishing percieved as easier for the novice.  Conventional reels were old and clunky -- and the new open face spinners were difficult for a new person to learn how to handle. 

So everyone was looking for a better mousetrap that might take off and make them a millionaire.

Lots of ideas were thrown against the wall -- in hopes that something might stick.

A few did -- most did not.

Just my observations.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Zimbass

Fred, your knowledge of history, and all things, is impressive. Thanks for sharing.

I'm still looking for a schematic, so if anyone has one they can share, or know where to look, I would be appreciative.

Cheers.

Terry.

foakes

Schematic might be a little tough to find, Terry...

Plus parts are unavailable, anyway.

But these should not be hard to work on if taken apart carefully with good proper sized screwdrivers, and a firm set of hands.

Just unscrew the cover -- then start on the rear sideplates and handle.

Pay attention to the way it comes apart -- and take pics if you think you need to of the disassembly process.

These are decent reels with brass gears -- similar to the quality of Johnson's.

Might be a nylon part or two inside that needs special care -- and no forcing because it may be brittle from age.

Do not recall any rivets -- just screws and such.

But I am confident you will handle it well, with your skill level.

Good luck!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Zimbass

Will do as you suggest, and know it will work out fine thanks Fred.

Just like to have the schematic when I work on a reel I have not worked on before.

Your guidance is most appreciated........again !

Cheers.

Terry.