New Guy from Georgia

Started by spc7669, June 23, 2016, 06:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spc7669

Greetings all and thank you so much for the information you provide here. I've been lurking for a couple of years and I finally pulled the trigger and signed up. I've done several reels with no problems just by searching the site and appreciate all the effort that goes into the tutorials.

My current project is a buddy's black side plate Penn 113 that was apparently lubed by the Scooby Doo tar monster. It's my first Penn and finding upgraded parts has been less than easy. I'll be posting a cry for help on the Senator forum very soon.

Thank you again for all you do here.

Patrick

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

spc7669

Shark Hunter, I love the work you do on those big Penns. I have drooled over your pictures for a long time now. One of my buddies just scored a 14/0 and I'll be opening it up in the near future. I'll be picking your brain for advice.

Here's a pic he just sent me.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

spc7669

Sorry the picture didn't show up. Technology made after the 8 track is usually above my skill level.

Tiddlerbasher

Shark Hunter

I saw it in your 4/0 post. ;D
The grandmaster Sal taught me. ;)
Life is Good!

anglingarchitect

The grandmaster Sal taught me. Wink Sal is my upgrade master, I've only upgraded one myself but i haven't sent it to him yet for evaluation.

foakes

Welcome aboard, Patrick --

Sounds like you are on the right track with some solid advice from some of our senior members.

However, when rodding/modding a reel like you are doing -- ask your friend and yourself two questions:

Are you going to keep the reel forever, and fish it?  If so, any appropriate mechanical mods are OK to do.

Will you someday try and sell or dispose of these reels?  If so, you will have more into these reels than you can get for them.

So decide for yourself what you and your buddy really need -- and proceed from there.

Best Regards,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

spc7669

Fred,

Thank you for the sound advice. Evan (buddy) and I do keep reels and other toys forever. We fish our stuff as hard as you can with a full time job.

We knew going into this it was for the joy of doing it versus increasing value. I'll be proud to know he's fishing the nicest 113 I could put together and he'll have the conventional reel equivalent of a Yugo with a Hemi motor.

I do love working on reels. If I didn't have a bunch of fishing buddies, I'd probably just go buy old reels to mess with because it's too much fun.

Patrick

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Welcome Pat....from the Sacramento Delta.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RiverAngler

Hey Patrick, welcome! The one thing I've learned being here is that there are no bad questions. Just those that go un-asked.
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

theswimmer

Welcome to the darkside Patrick!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn