Soft threads in plastic frame

Started by Monster1, June 24, 2016, 04:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monster1

I serviced my daiwa sealine 30 tonight and noticed when putting the sideplate screws back in that a few are kinda soft and ready to strip.  Anyone have a solution?

Thanks

jzman

If the threads are completely stripped, use soft copper wire and hammer it flat. Then from that flat strip form a loop the size of the hole and stick it in.  Put the side plate on and screw normally.  The screw should self tap threads into the soft copper and holds up pretty good.  Credit for this solution goes to Alan Tani

bigggfish

I have used this a couple times successfully.  It is from loc-tite and comes with very good instructions.  It is for plastic threads

Loctite® 28654Form-A-Thread® Stripped Thread Repair, 4.8 ml

Email Print
Item #: WRB1462203
Sold By: globalindustrial.com

RowdyW

Just get a thin piece of brass shim stock & cut a thin strip to drop in one side of the hole & insert the screw as normal.

oc1

I'm not at all opposed to composite frames and side plates.  That's what makes modern reels light and affordable. But I hate those coarse thread screws that rely on plastic to hold them in place.  They should embed a proper nut for the side plate screws.  Otherwise, the owner is being penalized for servicing the reel because there is a limit to the number of times the screws can be removed and reinserted before the plastic is wallowed away.
-steve