Main Menu

I bought a boat

Started by Tightlines667, June 24, 2016, 08:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Nice.  Are those outriggers also?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Dominick on October 03, 2016, 06:42:14 PM
Nice.  Are those outriggers also?  Dominick

Yes, I bought a cheap set of used/broken outriggers for $100.  The wishbone holders were origional to the boat, and were only 1 3/8" diameter instead of the more commonly used 1.5"s.  I made a set of reduction adaptors out of Ulua SS butt caps, and wooden dowels built up to match the inside taper, and epoxied in place.  I also had to fix a crack, and rewrap several of the guides.  I will likely upgrade to a new custom set of fiberglass or Carbon Fiber riggers down the line, but these should get me fishing for now, and the price was right.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Newell Nut

Looking good John. Hoping we can hook up something mid December.

Tightlines667

Finally got around to digging my trolling baits outta storage...

There are more baits there then I remember.

By my tally:
-12 Large/Marlin Baits
-8 Tuna Baits
-5 Wahoo Baits
-9 Mahi Baits
-13 Large Rapalas
-4 Unrigged heads
-A few dozen smaller plugs
-A dozen or more spoons & jigs
-1 Gallon bag of replacement Squid skirts
-A box of hooks, weights, jigs
-A box of crimps, 3 crimping tools, 3 spools roligging floss, 1 bait rigging knife, 3 cleaning knifes, 1 Sushi knife
-A squid jigging handline (bloodline/mono top) & 5 squid jigs
-A few boxes of smaller stuff, including bottomfishing
-2 fighting belts, 1 upper, 1 lower back harness
-2 Bamboo Gaffs
-1 Tagging stick (w/dehooker and line/wire cutter)

However, I know I am somehow missing some, including some of the best, and I need a few other things.  Looks like I need to replace my Black Magic Marlin lures, my medium Malolo, a few more heavy chrome heads for ono, a few pearl heads, the Marrauders, the GayBobs, the Cedar Plugs, all my Balleyhoo/Seawich combos, my smaller moldcrafts, and my birds.  Guess I need more wire leader, trolling hooks, live bait rigs (think I will try those rigging zip ties instead of messin with the righing needle/bridle), gloves, a hatchet, a fish bat, rigging pliers, chunking hooks, fluro, small squid jigs, some bottomfish gear, and maybe a few more jigs.

I forgot how much stuff a guy needs to play this offshore game.
Hope springs eternal

David Hall

You have a Very good start on it.

Tightlines667

I made a few additions to the boat...

I added a new third battery wired only to the dockside charger&voltage regulator, and a trolling motor plug receptacle.

This will power my Henry Ching pinch puller used to retrieve deep drop basket gear for bottomfishing S of 400' and running handlines for Tuna (Palu Ahi or Aki Shibi).  The pinch puller was bought used.  I brought it back to the origional manufacturer Universal Manufacturing (who by the built my shotguns) to have them go through it, and they fabricated/welded a new base to fit my 4 swivel shotgun mounts.  I cleaned it up, painted it, and wired in a trolling motor plug.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

I then built a fish cleaning/chum/rigging station out of a heavy board and a SS mount to fit any of the 4 shotgun mounts.

I also bought a used Penn electric downrigger.  I serviced it, mounted it to an angled rod holder mount, and wired in a trolling motor plug.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

...and finally, I built a 30 gallon livewell out of a 30 gal plastic jug.  I used a 1"through hull drain w/hose on top, and a 90deg threaded PVC, 1/2" water feed on the bottom.  I cut the lid with a jigsaw, used cooler hinges, and a cheap rubber latch to keep my bait from escaping.  The feed hose has a quick disconnect fitting to attach to the Y-valve off of my washdown pump.  All 4 items can easily removed and stowed when not in use.

I stayed under $500 for all 4 items including new downrigger cable and ball, and deep drop line and weights.
Hope springs eternal

Dominick

John I had problems using the washdown pump to run the live bait tank when I had my boat.  The washdown pump I had was not made to run continously which one needs to do to keep the bait alive.  I had a switch to direct the flow to either the wash down hose or the live bait well.  Check the specs on the pump to see if it can be run for a bait well.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Dominick on March 26, 2017, 12:44:23 AM
John I had problems using the washdown pump to run the live bait tank when I had my boat.  The washdown pump I had was not made to run continously which one needs to do to keep the bait alive.  I had a switch to direct the flow to either the wash down hose or the live bait well.  Check the specs on the pump to see if it can be run for a bait well.  Dominick

That's a good point.  The pump is not designed for this type of application.  It really is a bit weak, and has a pressure switch to turn it off automatically.  A continuous duty higher capacity impeller pump would be better then an on-demand diaphram.  I am trying to do things 'on the cheap' here since I am working with a limited budget.  I think it should work fine until I can afford a better pump.  I still like the idea if a single pump for both applications though.
Hope springs eternal

Bill B

Bro you're killing me....go catch some fish pleeeeaaasssee...Great looking boat brother....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tightlines667

Quote from: TARFU on March 26, 2017, 06:16:12 AM
Bro you're killing me....go catch some fish pleeeeaaasssee...Great looking boat brother....Bill

Had a 'little' learning experience with my exhaust system.  I completely destroyed my turbo (which I had a custom SS sleeve installed into the exhaust end) by running it with the first 4' of hose below the waterline.  The exhaust line was full of water up to 6" from my mixing elbow.. no bueno.  I replaced all of the exhaust hose and hung everything before the muffler above the waterline.  Now I am waiting on a rebuilt turbo to arrive in the mail.  Also took me awhile to track down an air in the fuel system problem.  I still need to finish prepping and painting the engine, and trannie.  I replaced the raw water impeller, all fuel lines, fittings, and filters, and cleaned/flushed/ replaced coolent.  I hope the turbo I bought is in good condition, and my engine runs well.  I am also in the process of replacing the windshield and rebuilding some of the structure.  I just repainted the outriggers, resealed/repainted the forward hatch, and installed a new decklight as well.  I would like to repaint everything eventually, and it will need to be dry docked at some point.  

There is some other stuff too, but once the engine is running, I can fish some.

John
Hope springs eternal

oc1

You're looking really good John.
-steve

thorhammer

Dude this is great stuff. How bout more pictorial as you do this boat thing. I love resto and repurpose.

STRIPER LOU

The Dyer 29 is probably the sweetest down east hull ever built! Very popular here in Ct., R.I.,  and Mass. With the Yanmar it should be dirt cheap to run and considering the low hrs., it will last you a lifetime.

Excellent!!!

Best of luck with it,  ..  Lou