SERVICING — ABU Ambassadeur 5000

Started by LLCC, June 25, 2016, 02:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LLCC

Sometime in 1976, I had an Ambassadeur 5000 multiplier. It had glossy black paint, a spare spool with plastic arbour adaptor to enable low torque casting of light lures, toolkit with spares, a black velvet bag to carry the reel out, and a leather box to hold the whole set together.

The reel was a sweet caster. It can toss a 2 oz piece of lead a long way away, easily out distancing the nearest competitor of that era which was a Daiwa Millionaire by (my hazy estimates) a furlong. At the same time, it can send an Abu Reflex flying to that lily pad without much effort. And mind you, rods of those days were whippy, flaccid fiberglass poles and lines were made of nylon monofilament with names like Abulon, Golden Stren or Damyl Imperial Steelpower which could stretch and stretch and stretch some more, like a bungee. With so much 'give', it's a wonder that we were able to cast at all, but the Ambassadeur did cast beautifully and silently. The drag was sufficient for the line class it was meant to fish and was buttery smooth. And its retrieve... ahhh... it was so smooth that IMO, it could not be duplicated by any other brand till Shimano's Calcutta broke out on the scene in the 80s.

Link for the complete Step-by-step illustrated guide to servicing this reel is here:
https://gaspinggurami.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/servicing-july-1975-abu-ambassadeur-5000/

Hope it can help you,

LL
Lawrence Lee

mo65

I have a 5000, I haven't fished with it for a while...but it's in tip top form. This tutorial would have been very useful when I serviced it. Great little reels...thanks for posting!  8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

LLCC

Quote from: mo65 on June 26, 2016, 03:09:54 AM
I have a 5000, I haven't fished with it for a while...but it's in tip top form. This tutorial would have been very useful when I serviced it. Great little reels...thanks for posting!  8)

;D ;D ;D

LL
Lawrence Lee

Mic

Hey LL,
In your picture tutorial, the first parts break down photo, there are 2 little black "bushings" on the right hand side of the photo just below the right side plate assembly. That is the first and last time you show them in your tutorial.

Where do those bushing go ?

Mic

Fish-aholic

Quote from: Mic on August 22, 2016, 01:02:18 PM
Hey LL,
In your picture tutorial, the first parts break down photo, there are 2 little black "bushings" on the right hand side of the photo just below the right side plate assembly. That is the first and last time you show them in your tutorial.

Mic

Those "bushings" are actually centrifugal brake blocks and they ride on two pins situated on the right hand side of the spool. Their aim is to create braking friction to a revolving spool via centrifugal force which is generated through casting. This force basically causes the b/blocks to be thrown outwardly (widest revolutionary path) where the blocks begin to nestle against a raised metal lip called a brake ring. This b/ring surrounds the recess exposing the pinion gear in the centre of the right side plate assembly. For optimum performance, keep the b/blocks and b/ring free of contamination (oil and grease).

Steve.

Fish-aholic

Forgot to add; those fibre b/blocks can also suffer from contamination through absorption, but are easily cleaned with a solvent bath. When contaminated their appearance will be dark brown/wet; once clean, their appearance will return to a light brown/dry.  ;)

Mic

LLCC

Quote from: Mic on August 22, 2016, 01:02:18 PM
Hey LL,

Mic

Hi Mic,

Steve is correct.

Those are the Centrifugal braking pellets. You have to keep them clean and dry for the best braking performance.
I normally clean them with some Zippo lighter fuel and them let them dry off on a piece of towel. And have a cover to prevent it from being blown away.
But if you lost them, no worries. Just learn to cast using thumb pressure.  ;D

Actually, you can trim off the handles of Q-Tips to make your own pellets if you've lost yours.

There's a chromed metal ring that's riveted to the right side plate assembly.
The braking pellets press against this ring to slow the spool down.
You wanna keep this ring clean and also ensure it's not grooved or pitted.

Hope that helps,

LL
Lawrence Lee

Mic

Thanks Double L,
I'll go back and check for groves in the break cup. I didn't think of that before. Stands to reason that after a few thousand cranks that there would be a grove carved in it.!

Big thanks yawl~!

Actually, you can trim off the handles of Q-Tips to make your own pellets if you've lost yours.[/quote]

You can also use small bits off electric wire insulation coating and cut up bits of spray nozzle tubes like come with wd40.