Newell P344T..

Started by Hutch, June 27, 2016, 01:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hutch

Can anyone tell me if the T designation on this reel means Trolling or what it means.. Also because of the Trolling designation would that mean it has a 3.6 main gear? Finally if it does in fact take a 3.6 gear does anyone know where I can get one.. I have the pinion.. I took a 5.1 from my G229F and it works but I'm trolling with some weight and would like to put the 344 back to stock if the 3.6 is in fact stock for that model.. Thanks for any help on the subject..

Bryan Young

I believe the gear set from the PENN 500/501 would work I don't have any 300 series on hand at the moment to measure. Sorry.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

Bryan

I believe it's the 506 HS that fits the Newell's. BP said he will have some 3.6 Gears very soon.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Hutch

Thanks for the input guys.. If you do get some in Brian please put me on the list..

bigggfish

Just to confirm.  I believe it does mean "trolling" although I'v never seen anything with that in writing.  I even asked an old-timer that question one time who know Carl well and he didn't know for sure, Trolling was his best guess also).  Now the gear ratio.  I have two  344-T's One P and one blackie.  They both have what I believe to be original gear sets.  Both are 4.2:1  (50 teeth to 12 teeth).  Not any easier to find, but if you want to restore it to original I think that is what you will have to find.

One other place to try is the Newell Facebook page if you haven't already.  I can ask on there if you want me to.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/233845613392142/

Good Luck, If I see either a 4.2 or 3.6 I''ll give you a shout.

Hutch

Thank's for that Bigggfish.. I remember reading in some scematic or somewhere that is was 4.2 just got all jumbled up trying to go through all the different models.. I replaced the gear in there with a 5.1 which was larger than the one I took out.. Trying to figure out which part number has been tough.. I guess the one that Bluefish posted was for a 3.6 which I asked for.. So if anyone knows where I can get a new or good used 4.2 gear.. I need one.. My pawl looks ok..

Hutch

I bought both reels new in the 80's and can't bring myself to part with them.. Still my go to for jigging and trolling without down riggers for salmon.. Plus caught a lot of sturgeon with the 344.. Can't beat the casting or the drag..