6/0 gear sleeve slop

Started by Monster1, June 27, 2016, 06:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monster1

I serviced my 6/0 senator today and got it back together.  I've noticed lots of excess play in the handle due to the gear sleeve only being supported at the base. It seems that really cranking on the handle would create lots of side load.  Can this be corrected with a stainless steel bearing sleeve or is this ok as is?

Thanks

RowdyW

It should be good for the next 50-60 years. I wouldn't worry about it. You could design & make a bearing to support the outer end of the sleeve (many others have attempted this) but I don't think it's worth the effort. 6/0 drags have been upped to 40-50-60#'s of drag and I haven't heard of problems breaking the bridge post.     Rudy

Shark Hunter

How much slop are you talking?
It is normal to have some in and out movement. A shim can take care of that.
Is it a 114H or a regular 6/0 Black?
On the older reels, sometimes you run into a smaller than normal bridge post. It usually has a felt washer underneath.
Any pictures?
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Monster1 on June 27, 2016, 06:00:59 AM
I serviced my 6/0 senator today and got it back together.  I've noticed lots of excess play in the handle due to the gear sleeve only being supported at the base. It seems that really cranking on the handle would create lots of side load.  Can this be corrected with a stainless steel bearing sleeve or is this ok as is?

Thanks
As Shark Hunter indicated, if it's an in/out movement, a shim or two can take up the extra space.  If the handle arm is moving in a circular rotation (gear sleeve shaft is loose), you will either need a new bridge plate, re-peen the gear sleeve shaft, or what I do, weld or braze the gear sleeve shaft to the bridge plate from the back side (the side opposite from the actual shaft itself.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Monster1

It's a red 114.  Sorry I don't have any pics.  But there is approximately 1/16 of an inch of movement if I pull up on the sleeve.  I'm thinking a shim would fix it but how would I install it?

Shark Hunter

I get these .010 shims from McMaster Carr. They work on the 114H and up. They are brass.
Part number  92678A278
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/122/3274/=131fdp4
Even on a new senator, One will take that slop out.

Life is Good!

mo65

I just shimmed my jigmaster...it too had what appeared AND felt like excessive play. It actually only took a narrow shim to fix it. The first shim I tried made the sleeve bind...it don't take as much as it looks like it needs.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handi2

Thanks to Daron I keep a bag full of those shims.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

Quote from: Monster1 on June 27, 2016, 07:52:19 PM
It's a red 114.  Sorry I don't have any pics.  But there is approximately 1/16 of an inch of movement if I pull up on the sleeve.  I'm thinking a shim would fix it but how would I install it?
That's a whole lot of movement. Should be not more than 0.050" before shimming.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

Quote from: Monster1 on June 27, 2016, 07:52:19 PM
To install, remove bridge assembly, remove pin in sleeve, remove gear sleeve, install shims as needed on bridge post, reassemble bridge & sleeve, reassemble reel. ::)

Shark Hunter

I try to never use more than two. You don't want the ratchet getting too high off the bridge. If it takes more than two, I find a replacement bridge.
There is a lip on the bottom of that bridge post for a reason.
Life is Good!

Monster1

Thanks for the help guys.  I appreciate it.  I took my other 6/0 down tonight.  It had been so long since it was serviced that the grease was hard.  Someone had oiled it thought.   I just cleaned and relubed taking note how the gear sleeve comes off.  This reel is definitely tighter than my othe.  Everything went back together without a hitch and is ready for new line.  I think I'm  going to fish the other reel the way it is for now.  After the season I will take it back apart, shim and put new drags in. 

handi2

Just PM me your address and I'll send you some. I have 30 right now. (Shims)

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Monster1

Quote from: handi2 on June 28, 2016, 03:12:09 PM
Just PM me your address and I'll send you some. I have 30 right now. (Shims)

Keith

Thanks Keith.  That's awfully nice of you.

Smols

Does anyone know where I can get the shims for a 113h? I noticed Daron attached a link to McMaster carr and I suppose I might be able to find the right size there, but in someone has some laying around, I would appreciate it. To be clear, I am looking to shim under the gear sleeve to eliminate the side to side play of the handle. The interior diameter should be 8mm as that will clear the bridge post.

Thanks!