Jiggin Master and Maxel Reels

Started by miwidomi, March 13, 2011, 09:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miwidomi

Does anybody know where Jigging Masteer an Maxel reels are built and by which company?
miwidomi

alantani

boy, i thought either taiwan or mainland china.......  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

miwidomi

Hi Alan,
thanks very much for your reply.
The reason why I am asking is that in our German Forum of Norwegian Fishermen questions arose about the quality of Maxel. Some say that the jigging master reels are built by Maxel and both reels are quite similar in their technical details. Some say that the Maxel reel is inferior to the JM reel. And everybody is wondering where the reels really com from. The official import companies in Germany are not able / willing to inform their clients about the real background.
miwidomi

miwidomi

Those rumors say that Maxel China is producing reels for Jigging Master which JM then offers under their brandname Jigging Master PE Series. Might that be true?
Thanks,
miwidomi (Michael)

alantani

a company should be willing to discuss such issues.  it they refuse, the customer might be concerned that the company is trying to hide something.  that concern might rise to the level of refusing to buy the product in the future.  another company that is more forthcoming might be viewed as being more trustful. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

miwidomi

Alan,
Maxel now stated by email that the do not produce JM Reels. They assume that they are produced in Taiwan.
Michael

reelgood

Maxel Sealion OSL08D (dual drag)

http://www.maxelfishing.com/images/services/schematic/SL/OSL08D.pdf

Maxel Sealion OSL08 (single drag)

http://www.maxelamerica.com/schematics/OSL08.pdf

Looks like it uses completely different parts in more than just the drag

miwidomi

Here is the answer from Maxel per email:

"Dear Michael ,

Thks for kind email .
We are afraid that we are not the producer for Jigging Master . We think JM reels are made in Taiwan .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Regards,
Maxel Fishing

Maxel Fishing Tackle Co.,Ltd.
#25 , Jianye 2 Road ,Shitanbu New Industrial Park ,
Tangxia Town ,Dongguan ,Guangdong, China 523717
Tel : +86 (769) 86958396
Fax: +86 (769) 86958395
E-mail (MSN ) : sales@maxelfishing.com
                      sales@maxelfishing.com
Homepage : www.maxelfishing.com
2011-03-14"

djac

Hi together,

I'm in the same german forum as miwidomi and I have had the opportunity to compare a osl06d and a pe6.

Beside the fact, that the pe6 is the bigger reel (a correct comparision would be between the osl06d and pe4) the reels are more or less equal. Have a look to the attached pictures.

The osl has the same dimensions as the pe4, this is true even for the bearings, gears and the spool shaft. Both reels have the same dual drag and the combination of a double dog and anti reverse ball bearing.

I measure a drag capability of 45lbs with only a minor binding effect. The same values as the pe4 has. Even the linearity of drag pressure from free to full is the same. The only important difference is that the lever of the crank is 80mm vs 90mm for pe4.

Because JM is well known, but maxel (a joint venture of chinese and american people, located at Hongkong) is not, the majority suppose that the maxel is the clone and JM is the original.

But there are doubts, because maxel produces reels since 2003 and JM since 2009 and there are reels from 2007, that looks a bit like the JM's. But then someone detects the picture on sportfisherman forum:

http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/f172/kil-jm-reel-testing-72910-2.html

On the 5th picture you can see on the left side a reel on that is written "maxel". The pictures are from 2009, the time JM goes with it's reels to US market and show some prototypes (on another reel there is written "jigging master tested").

Is the JM a common development of JM and maxel? Who knows the whole story?

Another fact is that the JM internally looks very near to the blue heaven L120 (google for the review from Alan Tani), which was first buildt in 2006, so far as I know. Here the main difference seems to be, that blue heaven is using a double anti reverse ball bearing instead of the combination of double dog and one anti reverse bearing. Is there a connection too between JM, maxel and studio ocean mark?

The good thing is, that here in europe the price of the osl is 269€ whereas pe4 ist priced at 489€.

regards Dieter

and even the bearings seems to be from the same manufacturer

PS:
Thank you very much for the kokelar handle for my alutecnos gorilla, alan, that you send to Aachen. It's really great.

PPS:
the text of this is a copy from my post on 360tuna.com, so noone should be asthonished, if you know him already.

jiggingmasterfan

I have a friend that used to work for maxel and said that they build the jigging master reels. Maxel however r not alowed to say they build them due to some sort of agreement. I own both a Maxel and a Jiggingmaster and i showed him so he could tell me what the differences were. He said that every part is exactly the same, except, maxel's handle is swept back and t-bar a slightly better shape for your hand. Thats it! yet jigging master is over a couple hundred dearer in aus!! wats the go jigging master?? i used to b a fan but now i am convinced i love my Maxel!!!

Nessie Hunter

I see so much CLONE type reels even within the same manufacturer.  They ad a diff finish or handle and Catch a lot of Fisherman with the Bling/show/hype... For $200/$300 more in price..???

I also see a lot of Clone or very similar internals on Reels from Diff makers, that are exact copies to other Makers reels.

Who Makes what???   Who knows any more.. 

So many QUALITY reels are made by Malaysian shops with diff names on the outside of the reel...   
Same exact reel...........

It has gotten down to only "What puts the most $ in my pocket" ... 

Buyer beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!   They will try to get your $$ any way possible.....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Irish Jigger

Bryan Young

When I used to travel to Asia A LOT, they used the term "reference" because there is usually one tiny thing that is different..."they are not the same, but we referened ____ in our design."

I must say, they are really good at reverse engineering.  If they only used better materials in their new products in comparision to their referenced products.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

NAZALINO

I heard JM have factory in CHINA. Thats why u can see many similar product in fishing market.
Sure producing items in china is cheap but i will worry about ur design are going to be copy.....

Bryan Young

It doesn't matter where it's made, if they want to re-engineer it, they can and will.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D