Plastic Spool Question

Started by mo65, June 28, 2016, 03:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I always see the plastic spools billed as "light weight". My question is...how light weight? How much lighter than an aluminum spool?(of the same model) Is it a worthwhile difference if I'm interested in weight reduction? ???
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

They were considered lightweight when only Chrome over brass was the only other option. They will blow up when fished with mono.
Aluminum is the best choice for strength and weight savings.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on June 28, 2016, 03:51:57 PM
I always see the plastic spools billed as "light weight". My question is...how light weight? How much lighter than an aluminum spool?(of the same model) Is it a worthwhile difference if I'm interested in weight reduction? ???
The plastic spool is approximately 1/4 lighter than the aluminum spool of the same size.
The chromed brass spool is twice as heavy when compared to the plastic spool.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

If you use mono and catch large fish you will break a "plastic" spool.  Fill it at least 3/4 full of Dacron or Spectra then mono.  I fill my plastic spools with Spectra and so far I have not broken one.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bluefish69

I hate to say this but I was fishing when all this started with Mono. & plastic spools. All we did was put 1/3 Dacron or Nylon line on the spool as a cushion for the Mono. I don't remember Aluminum spools back then.

Mike 
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

mo65

Thanks guys...your answers confirm what I was suspecting...the plastic spool should be great for what I have in mind. Even a couple ounces weight reduction is huge when casting a reel over and over for hours. From what I've read...winding wet mono onto one causes a problem...as the mono dries it shrinks...putting serious pressure on that plastic. I'll be sure to use Dacron as backing.  8)

mizmo67

You have to be careful how much tension you apply on the mono to the plastic spool when lining it up, as well.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

MarkT

It isn't wet mono that was the issue it's that mono stretches when wound tight on the spool then relaxes into it's original shape. That puts more pressure on the plastic spool than it can handle and it breaks.  Suck in your gut and put on pants that are too tight.  Now relax.  What happens?  Yeah, it's like that!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

foakes

Mo is exactly right --

If lining a plastic conventional spool with mono -- or even a plastic spinner spool with mono -- I generally use 25% dacron on the bottom -- then spool up the mono by hand -- even though I have 2 line winders and 2 older backups.

Getting more and more fellows using those old plastic finned Squidder spools for surf fishing with light line.

For a long time -- could not give them away -- now they bring a fair amount of $$$.

Just got to be cautious when spooling these up.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: MarkT on June 29, 2016, 09:56:17 PM
It isn't wet mono that was the issue it's that mono stretches when wound tight on the spool then relaxes into it's original shape. That puts more pressure on the plastic spool than it can handle and it breaks.  Suck in your gut and put on pants that are too tight.  Now relax.  What happens?  Yeah, it's like that!

Look at mono under a microscope...it looks like a sponge. And just like a sponge...it absorbs water as you fish. After being wound on wet, it then dries and shrinks, tightens and busts the spool. Can't remember where I read it...but I do know mono is porous...so I see the recipe for disaster.

On a happy note...I'll be using Dacron backing and braid for mainline...so I'll have no worries.  ;D

MarkT

mo65

Quote from: foakes on June 29, 2016, 09:57:56 PM

Getting more and more fellows using those old plastic finned Squidder spools for surf fishing with light line.

For a long time -- could not give them away -- now they bring a fair amount of $$$.

Man, ain't this the truth? Plastic spool prices have soared. Kinda funny how how Penn introduced the Monofil series and it's plastic spool totally flopped with mono. Makes ya wonder where the R&D was... ???

MarkT

Maybe they figured no one would be putting some new fangled, high tech, expensive stuff, like mono on their new low end reel back in the 50's!  They did come with both plastic and metal spools so you could use the metal one with mono.  Of course, they did come in designer colors with coordinated handles so they did beat Swatch and Apple to the punch.

At this point I don't think I'd trust a 60+ year old plastic spool anyway.  Probably brittle with age.  I think I have an old Jigmaster plastic spool but I wouldn't trust it.

mo65

Quote from: MarkT on June 30, 2016, 02:47:49 PM
At this point I don't think I'd trust a 60+ year old plastic spool anyway.  Probably brittle with age.  I think I have an old Jigmaster plastic spool but I wouldn't trust it.

I should be fine, I'm not planning on shark fishing it. This is actually for a fairly light duty project...using a little 180...and weight is the major concern. After fishing $300 carbon fiber/aluminum reels an old Penn feels like a cinder block in my hands...:D ;) ;D