Peaches is feeling Peachy.... or Better Living through Chemistry

Started by Wally15, June 29, 2016, 01:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

I probably owe some of you guys on the SoA trip an apology of sorts. Especially my roommate Jack, with me getting up all hours of the night. And moaning and groaning. I have a pinched nerve in my neck that was killing me and causing my right arm to go numb and my shoulder to ache constantly. The physical therapy regimen I've been on for the past month wasn't working, and the docs strongly recommended I not go on the SoA trip. Fat chance of that happening!
I probably only averaged 3-4 hours sleep a night on the boat. I did quite a bit of self medication with Wild Turkey 101. And even tried a few prescription pills from some of the guys on the trip, with limited success.
I've spent the last 3 days at various doctors and I finally have an MRI scheduled (in August!) and am being referred to a good local neurosurgeon.
My regular doc finally gave me two prescriptions yesterday, an anti-inflammatory (Zorvolex 35mg/Diclofenac, Alan), and Oxycodone for pain. Don't know which one worked, but I got the best nights sleep I've had in weeks last night.
I leave next week for Canada and a week of walleye fishing in the wilds of Ontario. I feel much better about the Canada trip now that I can better manage the pain and numbness in my right arm and shoulder. It's a 3000 mile round trip drive from S GA, and I've already got designated drivers for 80% of the ride. (8 guys convoy up there in 3 vehicles).
I've always been a very healthy person, at 67 my BP is still 110/70. My annual checkups for the past 25 years have all had the same summary; 1) quit smoking 2) lose 15 pounds 3) exercise more. I'm not used to dealing with chronic pain issues. Those folks that do have to deal with that now have my sympathy. It's not fun!
Hopefully I can get this pinched nerve issue resolved over the next couple of months. In time for fall bass fishing so I can do some casting.
Mike

Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

MarkT

I'm glad the oxy is kicking in so you can sleep.  I've had bad shoulders for a few years and often have trouble sleeping on boats due to the narrow bunks. My bunk was queen sized so I could spread out and did better this year.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

thorhammer

Porthos

Were you able to catch an earlier flight out of San Diego?

joel8080

Mike

It was the Wild Turkey, it takes a few bottles to kick in.

Wish you the best.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

Wally15

Quote from: Porthos on June 29, 2016, 04:39:05 PM
Were you able to catch an earlier flight out of San Diego?
YES! Thanks a bunch for the early ride to the airport. I couldn't check my bag if I wanted the early flight, so I hand carried it through TSA. They made me throw away my can of shaving cream and my nice fishing pliers (because the pliers had a small knife blade and scissors in the handle - for braid). Sort of like a Leatherman-Swiss Army knife combo. Bummer. But I got home 4 hours earlier than I expected.
My only regret is that I didn't have time to tell everyone goodbye. And to thank Alan for putting together another excellent trip. And for the use (and slight abuse) of his loaners. Heck, they're better than my good stuff!
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

stoked4fishin

Hey Mike
Was great fishing with you again, and getting my #### handed to me at 31!  Hope you feel better soon.  Justin say hey!
Jeff

David Hall

Mike, hate to say this but sounds like you got the same thing I been dealing with, symptoms are identical, protocol is identical, I haven't had a decent night sleep in months, everything was hurting, long story short after all the testing and MRI and X-ray I just had cervical spine fusion on C6-7 vertebrae, I'm almost seven weeks post op. Back to work and feeling fantastic compared to two months ago.  Off all pain meds, that oxy is some rough stuff but like you the pain was to much to bear without it and it was a welcome relief I was on it for two months.  Down to One pill a day in the evenings for the last there weeks, trying to kick them completely and switch over to Tylenol.
Good luck with the neurosurgeon and let us know how your doing. 

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jimmer

I'm pretty certain it was the wild turkey; it is known to contain large amounts of tryptophan. Good luck with your treatment Mike, chronic pain is not fun. - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann