Penn spools through the years

Started by sdlehr, June 29, 2016, 07:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

I asked a question a few months ago about how Penn spool design changed through the years but got no responses. I'm asking again, but this time illustrating with pictures. Here goes. The reasons for the change are obvious; increased strength and lighter weight are the rule by which they progressed. I'm interested in the actual spool design/construction and when Penn made the design changes.

I believe the first spool design was what I had previously been thinking others were referring to as a "3-piece" spool. I'm wondering if that thinking was incorrect now and what others were calling a "3-piece" is further down this list. I'll get back to that. If we're going to discuss these we're going to have to agree what we are going to call each design.

I believe the first spools were composed of a drilled arbor and separate flanges, with an addtional band seen on the inside of the flange where it meets the arbor. It is illustrated below. I should have taken the photo looking down the drilled hole in the arbor, sorry. My understanding is that as the years progressed the location of this drilled hole moved from more to one side towards the center. Here's the spool I'm talking about

After this, I believe the next change was the elimination of the hole and its replacement with a post to which the line could be tied, looking like this:

Next up was the plastic spool that appeared in the Squidder 140 in '39. I think that was the first use. I only have one Squidder plastic spool and it has line on it, so I photographed a plastic spool from a #78 to show the arbor and the flanges, but I've included photos of the ends of my Squidder plastic spool (with the flanges that Henze patented) because they are different from the 78. So, first, the 78:

And now the ends of the Squidder spool with the anti-backlash flanges (Mike C does a good job explaining this spool in his books)

Note the pin seen in the end of the Squidder spool on the handle side. The 78 plastic spool does not have this; another design change....

I'm not sure in which order the following spools appeared; I suspect there was some overlap and several were produced simultaneously, but I don't really know.

Then came the chromed, cast-bronze spools that came first (I think) on the Senators; they were stronger, being that one piece comprised the flanges and arbor; I believe the advent of monofilament line made this spool necessary. When mono was wound tightly onto a 3-piece spool, the spool had a tendency to explode under the pressure from each successive tight wind of the mono putting pressure outward on the flanges. This design solved that problem.

I'm not at all sure about the next few designs. The light-weight aluminum design combined the one-piece construction of the chromed cast-brass with the light weight of aluminum

Now I've come to what others may be describing as 3-piece spools. I don't have many of these because of the era of Penn I am interested in. I believe these were common in the 60's. One design looks a lot like the chromed cast bronze but is obviously separate pieces; arbor and flanges

And a similar design, I believe from around the same time, but with a distinct raised band around the arbor that is clearly different from the design immediately above

Now I know there are additional spool designs used in lever drag reels and many others, but for the purpose of this discussion I'd like to stick to the conventional star drag spools; I don't know if I have missed any designs, these are examples of ones in my collection and it is by no means complete.

Mike, Ray, Ted, John, and anyone else, what can you guys tell us about these spools and what the differences mean to us collectors?

Thanks
Sid

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

akfish

I know of at least one other spool type (which unfortunately I no longer have so I can't show): A wire line spool for the 49. It had a large arbor with vents so reduce weight and, I suppose, to allow the line to drain.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

sdlehr

Thanks, akfish, I have seen that spool. Or one that fits that description. The cutouts in the arbor were diamond-shaped. I have only seen that one. I don't know if they were all designed like that.
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

So when people speak of "three-piece" spools, are they speaking of the first spools, is it this

and this

or this?

And is this the same as the previous?

Thanks,
Sid
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

QuoteSo when people speak of "three-piece" spools, are they speaking of the first spools, is it this

Yes, the first two picture are three piece spools. The others are generally referred to as Stainless spools.

coastal_dan

I love these posts...finite details showing innovation and improvement over decades of trials, tests and FISHING.

I love Penn due to the shear amount of history and self-betterment (word?); constant innovation is the name of the game...and they have it.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Alto Mare

I would say that all of the above are three-piece spools.
Here is a shot of how they're put together:

I believe Lee and another member have the stainless steel spool apart, I don't remember who it was.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 01, 2016, 08:35:01 PM
I would say that all of the above are three-piece spools.
Here is a shot of how they're put together:

I believe Lee and another member have the stainless steel spool apart, I don't remember who it was.
Sal, the spindle/axle is press-fit into the arbor on these spools? Because I know some have nuts on the outside of the flange for disassembly. And I'd love to see other disassembled spools so I can see how they fit together. Whoever has the stainless spools apart, please post photos.

Thanks.
Sid
Sid Lehr

Alto Mare

I tried to get one apart but could only get one side off. I'm sure Lee will show how they go together, it's actually pretty simple.
All of the above are considered three-piece spools,  if you count all the part individually on the one I'm showing, you'll come up with 11 pieces.
I believe just the arbor and cheeks/flanges are counted.

Can't tell you the year on these, but here is a metal two-piece spool, somewhat similar to the plastic spool in design:

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

A 29M-250 spool for a 250 surfmaster or 500 pulled apart;

The arbor / spindle is one piece. Here is a longbeach 66 spool arbor that Chris (Rothmar2) turned down to 501 width to make a 66N

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Thanks for posting those pics Mike, sorry I couldn't remember it was you.

Sal

sdlehr

Thanks, Mike. This is becoming a fun thread. Are the flanges threaded also, or is it just the nuts on either end that hold them in place?

Sid
Sid Lehr

mhc

The flanges are a push tight fit (some not as tight as others) held in place by the nuts you can see at each end. I think the polished flanges are are chromed brass & the ones with a 'brushed' finish are stainless.

A chromed brass flange pulled off the arbor of a 500 spool;

And a 500 spool with 'brushed' stainless flanges;

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

sdlehr

Thanks, I realized the answer to my question after I asked it....  ::)
Sid Lehr

basto

Wow, what a great read! I used to think aluminium spools were the ultimate in spool development until a few days ago when I pulled the braid off my very expensive twin drag jigging reel to find corrosion and pitting.
I have always washed this reel in warm water after every use, but would recommend pulling the line off after every trip now.
I have seen this before on aluminium spools of differing brands.
In my opinion now, I think the plastic spool must be the ultimate in corrosion resistance and therefore longevity.

I had a 711 Spinfisher, my first spin reel, that had a plastic spool and I thought that spool was inferior to an aluminium one. My thinking has changed a lot since then.

Basto  
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n