Penn spools through the years

Started by sdlehr, June 29, 2016, 07:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

That's something.  The handle is fairly modern, right?
-steve

AC49

Yes Steve just as I found it  ... and pics after a basic clean up.

Regards
AC49

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Has anyone ever seen one like this before?  It's a bright red spool with square shoulders to fit the 200, 155, 25, etc.  If anyone would like to buy it, please PM me an offer.  I would love to sell it.

Swami805

That's a nice blank nice red spool Randy, would look good on a grey monofil. It shouldn't last long.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

Quote from: AC49 on February 14, 2019, 08:19:08 AM
Last 2 pictures

That's one crazy cool spool with built in cast control

Thanks for sharing

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

WDill

Rebuilding a baymaster 180. Ordered what seemed to be an original plastic spool in box. Got it and it is definitely wrong. Slightly wider and is square on the handle side. Definitely looks like a penn but what one. Maybe a very old design, i dont know. Would like to figure out what it goes to.

Wish I were fishing

Penn Chronology

Does not look like a Penn. Is there a part number anywhere on the spool or any kind of markings?

WDill

Only a 4 on the clicker side and a backwards 6 or 9 on the other.
Wish I were fishing

Alto Mare

Quote from: WDill on September 08, 2019, 07:45:18 AM
Only a 4 on the clicker side and a backwards 6 or 9 on the other.
That is a 29-77 Sea Hawk spool... just in case you purchased it through mystic reel parts, they would take it back with no questions.
I looked for you and do not have a plastic spool, I  also looked on the big site and they're only showing (2) chromed spools, the cheaper of the two is $15 shipped.

If no one comes through with one and you really need to have it, I have a new Penn 29-100 aluminum spool you could have for $20+ shipping.

ProChallenger also sells custom aluminum spools in a few color for that reel, excellent item, but cost a little more.

Sal

And here is the price you pay for answering a question at times :)

Grabbed my cell and didn't realize the spool was resting on it...oh well...
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Gee wizz Sal, with all the trouble you go to to help us, you certainly did not deserve that, so sorry, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

Quote from: Donnyboat on September 08, 2019, 06:00:10 PM
Gee wizz Sal, with all the trouble you go to to help us, you certainly did not deserve that, so sorry, cheers Don.

It is not a problem at all Don, i'm a pro at it... it isn't the first time .
I do have a couple more of the same, so it didn't hurt too bad🙂.

By the way WDill, I forgot to mention Randy, from Vintage Offshore Tackle, he might have one for you at a good price.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

WDill

Sal,

Sorry about the spool. That looks like the one I have. If you want it, you can have it for free. I also have an original Penn spool box that I will send to you with the spool. I really have no need for either. I think its amazing that you knew what that came out of. So it is a Penn spool after all.

If you can spare it I would like to take you up on your offer of the 29L 100 spool. I looked at the chrome ones and I think they would be too heavy. I am setting the 180 up as a gift (casting reel) for my father in law. I am not sure how educated his thumb is and those heavy spools would probably make a mess with light weights or lures. I had planned on loading it with dacron or braid but with an aluminum spool i could probably get away with 20 lb mono.

Bill
Wish I were fishing

WDill

Almost forgot, message me your address and I will get them in the mail. If you are willing to sell me the spool let me know how to pay you.

Bill
Wish I were fishing

mo65

Saw these posted on the Facebooks...white spool nirvana!! Well, one of them is grey, the grey sheep of the family. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteSaw these posted on the Facebooks...white spool nirvana!! Well, one of them is grey, the grey sheep of the family. Cool

Someone on Facebook did a deal with a South African collector. He worked something out to have these reels and some more imported from SA. They are custom-colored spools for the
deep Sea Model 49 A and Jigmaster 500 A reels. Very hard to come by these spools. I was lucky enough to get an example of the White and Gray 49A versions.

Notice on the Jigmaster 500 A models, the plastic spool has a narrow arbor. That is to allow for more line. The Jigmaster are being used for large gamefish, so they need more line capacity than we use in the USA. These spools are specially made for South African rock casting.