Help Me Pick my Next Reel

Started by spc7669, June 30, 2016, 03:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spc7669

I got an offer I can't refuse on my Okuma Solterra 20L, so it's upgrade time.

I want a really nice, really strong, smaller sized reel. I'm down to three horses in the race....

Truth SG
Looks great. Warranty is tops.

Avet SX Raptor
Dual drag. Not a fan of the glued down drag washer.

Pro Gear V30 or V40
Love the looks and design. The fact they were out of business before makes me worry about warranty.

I'll also be in the market for a custom rod to go with it, so fire away, help me spend some money my wife doesn't know about.

foakes

Hi Patrick --

Either Dwight or Jon on this site -- will build you an heirloom quality rod for a fair price.

Their skill and experience are over the top.

Other experts will add their opinions regarding the reel choice.

One thing, IMO --

Warranty is not a big thing, to me...many of us prefer doing our own work and set-up, if possible.

Future parts availability is the bigger thing -- and is important as a consideration -- and like most of life today, is not always 100% predictible -- but other's experience, along with your best judgement, will help.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide on.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

akfish

I vote for the SX Raptor. I don't like the aluminum screws on the Truth or the fact that the handle screw is loctited into place. The Pro Gears are new and I can't be sure what problems will crop up over time.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bryan Young

Quote from: spc7669 on June 30, 2016, 03:13:29 PM
I'm down to three horses in the race....

Truth SG

Avet SX Raptor

Pro Gear V30 or V40
Love the looks and design. The fact they were out of business before makes me worry about warranty.

Truth SGs - I like my Truth reel.  Decent drags and innovative design.  Warranty is great and easy access to the top people in the organization (Wes and Justin)  A little wider than the SX with slightly better drag numbers than the SX.

Avet SX Raptor has a floating drag washer.  Therefore, Avet was able to produce about 1.8 time the drag as the normal SX since both sides of the drag washer is stopping the spool with the same amount of thrust force.  Free spool is hindered very so slightly since the washer is in a floating system which means that the drag washer may side between the two pressure plates.  Not a deal changer in my book.

And last, PG.  Nice reels with SS main gears making this a strong star drag reel based on their historic and reliable design.  I only own the original designed Classic Series 500, 501, 550, 551, 600, 625 and 650 and I love them.  They are smooth.  I'm not sure if I would personally buy this reel because the gears seem noisy to me, unlike the bronze gears of the original classic series.

Not sure if this helps, but it really depends on the type of fishing that you are doing.  Star drag reels are good for some type of fishing but may not be good for others.  Ditto with Lever Drag Reels.

Custom Rod, I would recommend Jon Vadney here on the West Coast.  Dwight (Newell Nut) in Florida, but I think he is in Hawaii at the moment and not sure when he'll return.  Also some great wrappers in SoCal, Carolinas, and New Jersey that I know of.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Aiala

Quote from: spc7669 on June 30, 2016, 03:13:29 PM
I got an offer I can't refuse on my Okuma Solterra 20L, so it's upgrade time.
I want a really nice, really strong, smaller sized reel. I'm down to three horses in the race....
Truth SG
Avet SX Raptor
Pro Gear V30 or V40

I'm sure any of your reel choices would perform admirably. My two cents: I just took a Penn Fathom 40N on my 8-day, and couldn't have been more pleased. The price was entirely reasonable, too:

Quote from: spc7669 on June 30, 2016, 03:13:29 PMI'll also be in the market for a custom rod to go with it, so fire away, help me spend some money my wife doesn't know about.

There are several outstanding rod builders here on AT. From personal experience, I can state without reservation that Newell Nut (Dwight) crafts some of the finest rods you will ever see, to your optimal personal specifications. Definitely can't go wrong.  :)

Have fun shopping... (but don't be so certain Mrs. Wife is in the dark, LOL)   ::) :D

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Bryan Young

Since Aiala brought up the Fathom, I would recommend the 25NLD2 as it's more comparable to the size of reel you are looking at. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Aiala

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 30, 2016, 04:12:18 PM
Since Aiala brought up the Fathom, I would recommend the 25NLD2 as it's more comparable to the size of reel you are looking at. 

Excellent point, Bryan. Much obliged.   :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

MarkT

I have the SX/JX/HX Raptors and Fathom 25nld2.  I use the SX with 30# and the Fathom with 40#.  Fathom performs at Raptor levels, way above a non-Raptor, at half the price of the Raptor and $100 less than the regular JX 2 speed.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Alto Mare

Raptors and fathoms, great reels. I'll throw this one in as well:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10800.0
Been playing with it for some time now, it shouldn't let you down.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

spc7669

So I've managed to go from 3 horses in the race to 5. I read up on the Andros and Fathom 25 and could find no fault with either.
Cosmetically, I've only handled the SG in person and it's beautifully machined. For the money, the Fathom is a steal. For simplicity, the Pro Gear wins the day. The Andros offers two speeds and drag to spare. The Omoto sure has the drag, but I'm totally unfamiliar with the company.
I am now more undecided than when I started.
Patrick

RowdyW

Take a look at a Fin-Nor Marquesa MA 50T II, it's a 2 speed reel that is the smoothest reel I have ever felt. My go to trolling reel with 60# braid. Lots of drag power. It's also made in a 20, 30, & 40 size.        Rudy

spc7669

Since Alan mentioned the 2 speed Andros, I have a confession to make. I have never owned or fished a two speed. I have a Shimano Torium 16 with the Trinidad spring/dog upgrade and an Okuma Solterra 10L which have both served me well.

I only get to fish the salt 3 or 4 times a year, and, under fear of banishment, a lot of that is done with a fly rod. Catching a tarpon on fly was the greatest fishing experience of my life. We do, however, chase sharks frequently and usually go offshore once a year for AJ's and grouper.

What are the pros and cons of the two speed? I know I want a machined reel producing at least 25# of drag that can be very versatile. If the two speed adds utility at no sacrifice in reliability, I'm ready to add that to the list.

Patrick

handi2

Check the gear ratio of any 2 speed reel you may be interested in. I like the high speed no higher than 5 to 1 in a bottom fishing reel. Usually the low ratio will be around 2 to 1.

If you ever have a big fish on digging for the wreck low gear will save the day. I use low all the time for other reasons but in low you can just reel them up without straining.

I have the Avet's in all configurations and really like them. They have never let us down. I've had the Fathoms and Torques too but just like the bullet proof Avet's.

Not saying a Torque isn't bullet proof. The ones I had were the International Torque's that were heavy.

I recently got some Shimano Talica 16II 2 speed reels. They are super strong and really smooth. The drag ratings on the reels is crazy but they are expensive!!

I've never had an Okuma other than the Makaira. I have 4 of those. I might get one Alan recommended just to try it out. You can never have to many.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

I have to sit this one out Pat. I only have three two speeds. They were meant for one thing. ;)
Life is Good!