EXW 50/2

Started by sharkman, July 02, 2016, 02:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Just purchased avet 50/2 exw for trolling on long range trip. Never trolled what size line should I run. I think they suggest 60-80.

MarkT

That might be with straight mono. On a 50 size 2-speed, go big, or go home.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

josa1

I recently acquired an AVET PRO EXW 50/2 that had some problems but I finally have it working the way I think it should.  I'm going to run 200 pound spectra as a base and then a top shot of what works at the moment.  I think I'll use line classes in the 100, 135 or 150 pound range.  I will fish it on the helium balloon or on the big baits like skip jack, small tuna or salami mackerel.

I surely excited to try it.

It would be nice to hear what you decide on, and the success that you have with it.

josa1

Keta

I would put 1/3 spool of 200 or 130 Dacron on it then top it off with the same weight Spectra.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sharkman

Josa 1 I spooled it with 80lb mono.  The reel worked perfectly, caught large king trolling. I will give you one piece of advice take the reel to a shop that is used to spooling line on big game reel and not the average tackle shop. When I took the reel to local tackle shop where I do most of my business I was disappointed with the line capacity. After putting out couple times trolling I found they didn't or couldn't spool the line at the tightness needed.  The line dug in on itself.  If the line was put on at the tense caused by trolling it would probably hold close to the capacity noted on internet.

josa1

Hi Sharkman,  Sorry for the late reply, somehow I missed your comments.  Your advice re spooling is very well taken.

I spool my own spectra using a device on which I can adjust the pressure.  I have to reel it on by hand, i.e. it's not powered, and then I use a short "X" pattern when laying the line on the spool.  I've never actually had the line dig into the spool of one of my reels but I have seen it happen on other's reels numerous times.

Sometimes it's a little laborious using the hand cranked method but as an old retired guy, I have plenty of time to invest.

Thanks for your advise!

josa1

p.s. I enjoy reading your posts a lot, you obviously have lots of good experiences to pass along!

Fleet

I have a EX50 and have 700 YD. of 130 Lb. Toro Tamer on it with a top shot of 100 Lb. of mono and use it for kite and trolling, and heavy bait fishing.

josa1

Hi Fleet,

I have the same sort of set up, used the about the same way.

An AVET 50 San Diego Special (SDS)  filled with 200 pound spectra and I usually use a short 135 pound top shot over the spectra.  

I'm really impressed with the big AVET reels, their operation is very smooth and powerful.

I have this 80 I use as a kite reel, has nearly 1000 yards of Izor 200 Pound hollow spectra, I fish this one with about 100' of 200 pound mono as a top shot.

josa1

sharkman

Avets are great, really great made reels

mikeysm

I have  exw 50/3  and I am using 200 lb JB hollow braid with 150 lb ande monofiliment top shot. Mounted on a United Composite rail rod.

Mike