Red 344-5 and Purple 454-5

Started by Yogi_fish808, July 05, 2016, 05:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

On an impulse I bid on a set of R344-5 plates I was sure I'd be outbid to a ridiculous price but somehow it stayed fairly reasonable. I'm using the parts from a P338 4-stack reel. First, these plates required a bit of "massaging" to fit the stainless rings, when measured against the p series plates they were a hair too big and needed to be filed down. Can't wait for the super jig frame/spool kit to get here, pretty sure it'll be the first 3" wide red 300 series ever.

Aloha,
Kyle

Swami805

I have to confess I bought  new red side plates for a 400 series recently. I'll be in your exclusive club, the only 1 5/8 wide 400 series Newell with red side plates. Haven't put them on yet but I imagine I'll have to massage them a bit. The badges are purple from a pr 454-5. Don't know what I was thinking but it seemed like a good idea at the time. All that's left I can do is a new handle but I like the stock ones. I'm building a calstar gf 100mag to put it on. Hope to be fishing it next month. This one was made from machined parts from the original p447f. I have another with the a narrow tiburon frame and spool, hoping to get aluminum sideplates at some point for that one when they become available. This is becoming addicting. I've been reading about the charter special shimanos and I found one buried on the back shelf, uh-oh.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Yogi_fish808

Annddd...it happened again. A purple 454-5 with 550 tib frame/spool popped up on craigslist and the guy took a lower but fair offer that was too good to pass up. After service everything is happily clicking and turning as it should. Great I've now entered the rabbit hole of colored newells.

As for the Red 344-5 w/ superjig kit, that'll be on hold till Randy puts the order thru to make them later. For now it'll be stay at its labelled size and be hauling in big bonefish and jacks hopefully.

Aloha,
Kyle

Tightlines667

That purple one is a looker!  Nice score.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 10, 2016, 04:22:34 AM
That purple one is a looker!  Nice score.

Yep!  Like a Zinfandel grape.   ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Newell Nut

Really nice pair of reels. Love my P 344-5 on a 13' Daiwa Ballistic over here in HI. That purple is a nice looking reel.

Cor

Cornelis

mo65

These colored Newells are hot...very nice job on these! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Fishamen7

Very nice reels
i especially like the purple 454 very good find and nice choice in tibing it out
I am interested in what rod you will select for this awesome reel
I have a purple and gunmetal 344 size jiggy and I got brian's Hawaii shorecasters frame on it and put it on a 14 ft talon 33 with metallic purple and black performance wrap

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Fishamen7 on July 01, 2017, 09:59:32 PM
Very nice reels
i especially like the purple 454 very good find and nice choice in tibing it out
I am interested in what rod you will select for this awesome reel
I have a purple and gunmetal 344 size jiggy and I got brian's Hawaii shorecasters frame on it and put it on a 14 ft talon 33 with metallic purple and black performance wrap

I've done quite a bit to the old PR454-5 since I bought it. 550 Purple tib spool/frame, Byrans 5+1 drags, delrin undergear washer, RocketReels handle and a lot of fine tuning to make her spin just right. It usually just sits on the shelf and looks pretty since I usually use my 500 series newells or hot-rodded 113h's for sliding on my Penn Carnage or All Star Big Game ulua rods. For the R344 and all my small game reels I usually mount it on a custom wrapped Daiwa Ballistic 40s, with 8oz it will blast a bait out pretty far.  

How the PR454 sits now

Fishamen7

Wow!! beautiful reel  fantasic, upgraded to the max I like your choice in the handle
Yea I like the 344 size so much I kind of push it hard sliding with it usually slide the small weke
jacking up is not fun with the smaller reels

I have a carnage with a new US senator 4/0 and this is a winch compared to a jigg
I love the combo
I liked the feel of the ballistic nice and light

Newell Nut

Really jazzy reel. Those Carnage rods are really nice off the shelf rods and with sleeves on the butt too.

mo65

Man, that PR454-5 is hot...awesome looking reel! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~