Avet Exw 50/2

Started by sharkman, July 06, 2016, 09:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Just purchased EXW 50/2 was very surprised when spooled with line. Multiple sites stated would hold 610 yds of 80 lb mono was only able to get 425 yds. Compared diameter of current line with other big names such as momoi and big game no much difference. Using line calculator if filled to same level with smallest of two would only gain about 10 yds. The line was put on tight with spooling machine. Contacted Avet to verify was case of wrong reel like noted on this site. They stated impossible to be wrong size reel. They were unable to give explanation. Contacted site that listed 610 yds they stated that was maxing out reel to the bars. I don't think even maxing out to bars would squeeze almost another 200 yds. Any ideas on what could be issue.

alantani

since i've gotten the winder, i've found that the spool capacities have been overstated by double in some cases.  not sure how they get away with it. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

FatTuna

I would assume it's similar to what car manufacturers do. I've never owned a vehicle that actually lived up to it's rated MPG. One vehicle I owned, the MPG was grossly overstated. When they write up those numbers, it does not account for a person's driving habits. They probably came up with them in a desert on a brand new road, with a brand new vehicle. 

I would assume they come up with those numbers in lab conditions with the thinnest line on the market. They probably overfill the spool. It would seem that regardless there is some exaggeration.

I think all companies do to a certain degree.

Some line manufacturers do make line that is much thinner than their competition. Jinkai for example is much thinner.

FatTuna

Where did you read that it holds 610 yards of 80 mono?

I went to the Avet's site and it states that it holds 950 yards of 130 Jerry Brown hollowcore. That's the only thing I could find.

sharkman

One site was tackle direct. Even when I called avet they went to tackle direct and shark outlet to quote mono capacity

FatTuna

Quote from: sharkman on July 07, 2016, 01:11:22 AM
One site was tackle direct. Even when I called avet they went to tackle direct and shark outlet to quote mono capacity

Does is say it on the box anywhere?

sharkman

Thanks guys for the reply. I second that on mpgs. The most over rated car I owned was a Volkswagen Jetta GTI.

sharkman

I don't remember it being on box. The representative from Avet stated there reels were never intended to be fished straight mono. One their site they only list capacity for JB hollow core.

AJ

Using the line estimator from this site 950 yds. of 130# spectra equals 435 yds. of 80# mono.  So the line estimator agrees with Avet.  I think the problem is with over optimistic vendors.

sharkman

I found the answer after using the reel... It is all about tightness of line..... The tackle shop put the line on tight but after trolling with x rap plug the line got put on really tight... It would probably hold another 100 yds.....

CapeFish

It always amazes me why manufactures simply can't state the mono capacity with a diameter, there is such big differences between braking strain and diameter between different line manufacturers that it is almost meaningless to say a reel holds X amount of 50lb. If they can simply put diameter and capacity you can at least compare reels and they should state the amount of line with a level filled spool. It wont be an exact science, but it certainly will be much better than the lb/capacity system (where you can clearly see that for some manufacturers it is only for a 3/4 filled spool) used by so many manufacturers. At least this will allow for realistic comparisons between reels. It won't eliminate the problem that you get with many of the modern reels that you can't fit a leader when you have filled it level because of the compact frame design, but there's not much to do about that.