alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Real World 309 Upgrades
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 19, 2017, 10:19:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Real World 309 Upgrades  (Read 2370 times)
thorhammer, beaveer4242 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 05:55:39 AM »

There is not many main/pinion gear combinations that are compatible.

The Pearless 9, 109, 209 and 309 reels were the main Penn reels I saw and worked on for many years with a few Senators and Mariners.  I never liked the 309 as it was to big for salmon and not quite enough for mid to large Pacific halibut.  I never saw a place for one for my needs and used Penn 10 and 210 for salmon and 349H for halibut.

In the morning when I wake up I will see what tomorrow will bring.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
sundancer

« Reply #16 on: Today at 07:08:07 AM »

Gents

Great Thread.  As I just acquired 2 309's in good shape for free, i am thinking of beefing at least one up.

To continue with this Thread...

On the Frame stiffness issue, can't a Reel Seat, reshaped by grinding out the Seat Tabs, be used to support the Side Plates?

i am thinking replacing the Rear Bar for the bottom Screw and drilling a new top hole for the top Seat Screw. 

Seems reshaping a Reel Seat and then powder coating it would be relatively easy and cheap.

Thoughts?
Steve

HOW - Heroes on the Water
http://how-tidewaterchapter.blogspot.com/
Jetskisportfishing.com
Decker

One fish, two fish, red fish, bluefish.

« Reply #17 on: Today at 07:12:48 AM »

Gents

Great Thread.  As I just acquired 2 309's in good shape for free, i am thinking of beefing at least one up.

To continue with this Thread...

On the Frame stiffness issue, can't a Reel Seat, reshaped by grinding out the Seat Tabs, be used to support the Side Plates?

i am thinking replacing the Rear Bar for the bottom Screw and drilling a new top hole for the top Seat Screw. 

Seems reshaping a Reel Seat and then powder coating it would be relatively easy and cheap.

Thoughts?
Steve

Steve, interesting but hard to visualize...  Could you draw a rough picture?   I won't be the one to answer you, but I think it will clarify your intention.   /Joe
sundancer

« Reply #18 on: Today at 08:18:11 AM »

Decker

A little difficult right now, but if you see a picture of a Reel Seat, grind off the Tabs where the Rod attaches.  Maybe even grind to lighten the whole Seat a bit.

Attach the Seat to the back of the Reel by using the Rear Bar Screws/Holes and 2 new Holes for the top of the Seat Screws.

I will try to edit a picture later

Steve

HOW - Heroes on the Water
http://how-tidewaterchapter.blogspot.com/
Jetskisportfishing.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: