Real World 309 Upgrades

Started by mo65, July 09, 2016, 11:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

There is not many main/pinion gear combinations that are compatible.

The Pearless 9, 109, 209 and 309 reels were the main Penn reels I saw and worked on for many years with a few Senators and Mariners.  I never liked the 309 as it was to big for salmon and not quite enough for mid to large Pacific halibut.  I never saw a place for one for my needs and used Penn 10 and 210 for salmon and 349H for halibut.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sundancer

Gents

Great Thread.  As I just acquired 2 309's in good shape for free, i am thinking of beefing at least one up.

To continue with this Thread...

On the Frame stiffness issue, can't a Reel Seat, reshaped by grinding out the Seat Tabs, be used to support the Side Plates?

i am thinking replacing the Rear Bar for the bottom Screw and drilling a new top hole for the top Seat Screw. 

Seems reshaping a Reel Seat and then powder coating it would be relatively easy and cheap.

Thoughts?
Steve

Decker

Quote from: sundancer on October 19, 2017, 03:08:07 PM
Gents

Great Thread.  As I just acquired 2 309's in good shape for free, i am thinking of beefing at least one up.

To continue with this Thread...

On the Frame stiffness issue, can't a Reel Seat, reshaped by grinding out the Seat Tabs, be used to support the Side Plates?

i am thinking replacing the Rear Bar for the bottom Screw and drilling a new top hole for the top Seat Screw. 

Seems reshaping a Reel Seat and then powder coating it would be relatively easy and cheap.

Thoughts?
Steve

Steve, interesting but hard to visualize...  Could you draw a rough picture?   I won't be the one to answer you, but I think it will clarify your intention.   /Joe

sundancer

Decker

A little difficult right now, but if you see a picture of a Reel Seat, grind off the Tabs where the Rod attaches.  Maybe even grind to lighten the whole Seat a bit.

Attach the Seat to the back of the Reel by using the Rear Bar Screws/Holes and 2 new Holes for the top of the Seat Screws.

I will try to edit a picture later

Steve

handi2

How will attach to a rod if the tabs are ground off as you stated?
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Crow

I think he means an ADDITIONAL reel stand....used only as a "spacer bar"
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

sundancer

Crow

thanks for clearing it up.

my point/question is that discussions seem to indicate that the Frame of the 309 is a weak point.  Rather than go to the expense with a Newell, if it exists, why not just modify another Seat to crossbrace the Reel by grinding off the Tabs where the Rod mounts and maybe a little profiling to make it look nicer and not just a cobbled up Seat?

Looking from the Handle side, install it the ~9 o'clock position using the existing Bar Screw/Hole and a new one made appropriately higher up.  This should work for cheapskates like me. 

I might have an Reel in bad shape around here where i can steal the Seat.........

Thanks
Steve

mo65

If you can find an inexpensive/effective way to reduce frame flex on the 309 sundancer, lots of naysayers will have to find a new reel to chastise! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sundancer

sundancer

OK

whats up????

if you look at the schematics for the 66 and the 309, they list the 30-66 Stand for the part number.  The Picture though are of 2 different Parts.

the 309 has holes for a Rod Clamp and the 66 'lighter duty' type, like on the 285, etc.

?????
Steve

mo65

Quote from: sundancer on October 20, 2017, 04:42:02 PM
if you look at the schematics for the 66 and the 309, they list the 30-66 Stand for the part number.  The Picture though are of 2 different Parts

If you're referring to the schematics at Scott's, yes, the stand pictured in the LB66 schematic is wrong. They're showing a #30-65 stand, but list it correctly as the #30-66.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~