8/31/07 - 1000 reels in 11 months

Started by alantani, January 04, 2009, 12:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

for the previous couple of years, things had been getting increasingly disorganized. i decided to at least get some tags to keep the right name with the right reel. in september of last year, i received a box of 1000 of these reel repair tags, earlier this month, i finished up that box. number "1000" was a small mitchell garcia 408. the drags were sticky and the spool had locked up on the drive shaft. i normally do not work on spinning reels, but this one was special. the owner is 51 years old, just like me. his dad gave it to him when he was 12. for the last 35 years it sat in a box in his closet, just a memory from his childhood. earlier this year he pulled it out for his own 12 year old to use on a fishing trip. needless to say, it didn't work and he brought it in for service. i had to dremmel off the old spool and just got a new one in the mail. i'm hoping i'll be able to fix it.

my fishing memories with my father are some of my fondest, and most aggravating. with the gear i had back then, it amazes me now that i ever caught anything. i'm going to get this reel is fixed and back in the hands of this 12 year old. i'm hoping that he'll kill lots of fish with it, maybe even pass it on to his son. for me, that's what fishing is all about. i enjoy fishing with the kids more than anything else. reel repair for me has exploded in the last several years. i'm now getting reels shipped in from all over the country. i'm getting even more e-mails from guys that have used the tutorials and fixed their own gear. and that is my ultimate goal. for all of you, thank you! your trust and confidence have brought me a variety of reels that i think few others have ever seen. without that, i never would have made it to "1000!" yeah, and i'm already 50 tags into the new box! alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Benni3

Trout fishing today look what this guy had

thorhammer

Tightlines667

Hey Alan...

Do you know what the most reels you, and your operation has serviced in 1 year?

1000 seems like a huge number! 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

not sure, but here is a random tag on the nearest reel sitting on the bench.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oc1

I'm flabbergasted.  That's about three reels per day for a decade.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

Alto Mare

Love that combo, Benny.

Boss, sounds like you're slacking. 11 months = @ 240 working days.
Averaging 1 reel every 1/2 hour will bring you to 16 reels per day .
240 x 16 = 3840, you are 2840 short  ;D
Just a quote for someone that does this daily.

With that said, I'm still impressed!

By the way, I think I did 2 dozen this past year ;D, so I will quietly step back :)

Sal

Holy cow! I just realized you meant for the month...that's some impressive numbers.
You are talking 11000 a year...wow!
You have every rights to have a messy garage, with that many reels, I don't know how you find things.
Great job boss!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BQN

"Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst out in laughter."
- L.G.P.

anglingarchitect

You did a couple for me so I was happy to help.

mark