A Heavenly 210

Started by mo65, July 14, 2016, 04:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

The 210 is one of my all time favorites...top of the heap for chasing big catfish in rivers. With the levelwind and 4:1 gearing you can hold the rod high and crank fast on the retrieve, keeping that hook above the myriad of snags it passes on it's way back to you. Try that with a Longbeach...:P  I decided to hop up my 210, and after installing the bling I like this gem even more!

I started with the prerequisite stainless steel gear sleeve. I used Pro Challenger's 10 tooth ratchet version...and it does appear to reduce backplay a bit. I tossed in Bryan's 5+1 kit, and the drag on this reel feels smoother than any I've done. I suppose the condition of the gears could be helping here...as they looked like they were made yesterday. I topped things off with the Motive Fabrication offset handle and a Pro Challenger 45mm EVA knob. 8)

An old family photo of the 210 with his little brother the Mag 10...great lookin' kids...:D

Here's the replaced pieces above the new ones...certainly looks more muscular...;)

For the new folks on this site, this pic shows how Bryan crams a 5 stack into a 3 stack gear. New ss washers are about half the thickness of stock brass washers. :o

Same deal here...new carbontex washers are about half as thick as stock drag washers. :)

I had a steel #5-500 gear laid out for this project...never expected to see a steel main already in place! The stock gears looked better than the old Jigmaster's I had prepared...gonna be a gooood day tater! ;D

Gear stack all reassembled onto the new ss gear sleeve. Hey Keta, got any more of those ss dogs for the 210? 8)

So here we are, all finished, I really like this!

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

You take some nice detailed photos Mo. Nice reel!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

Lookin good Moe!  :)
........Lou

Bryan Young

Great looking reels Mo.  Wow, those gears are spotless.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Nice work Mo!
And x2 on the cracker shots.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

mo65

Thanks for the comments guys...glad you liked it. I'm happy as a clam with this reel.  8)

Shark Hunter

Pretty sweet Mo.
You are doing some good work! ;)
Life is Good!

mo65

I put a scale on this reel this evening and made a few pulls. I started at the 10lb. neighborhood which I'll usually be fishing it at, and it pulled off very smooth. I jacked it up to 15lbs...still smooth. Even though I'll never fish there...I cranked the star down as hard as I could by hand and reached 18lbs. This was done at full spool, so I'm sure this thing could produce 20+ with a little line ran off.  8)

swill88

Great report and pics Mo... thanks!

Keep m coming.

steve

mo65

Update on this reel: Just got back from my brother's place. Caught this beast of a Blue Catfish on the 210...it never even broke a sweat. Can't say so much for me...I had jello arms by the time it was in the net. 8)

STRIPER LOU

WOW, that's a big cat Moe! Nice work and looks like the reel did exactly what it was suppose too!
......................Lou

Rancanfish

Meeeeow that's a big one.  Do you eat them that big?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Alto Mare

Nice one Mo, did you put him back or take him home?
How did that 210 look on the inside, afterwards?

thanks for sharing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 10, 2016, 11:31:40 PM
 Do you eat them that big?

Oh no, we only eat little ones, this fish was released. 8)

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 11, 2016, 12:33:10 AM
How did that 210 look on the inside, afterwards?

I haven't opened it back up yet...but I'm pretty sure all is well. When the fish pulled drag it felt smooth, and then when it "sat down" on bottom (as big cats often do) I tightened the drag a hair and gave the fish a little encouragement to move. I think they get mad when ya do that...always swim under the boat afterwards! :D

thorhammer

Nice Mo! I love a 210 and that's a great cat!

John