Newell C338 / Tiburon Conversion?

Started by Reverendpdp, July 18, 2016, 09:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverendpdp

I'm looking for a tutorial of some kind to replace the frame on my Newell with a Tiburon.  Anything out there? 

Newell Nut

The information in on the newell tab so just search through topics.

Reverendpdp

Thanks NN.
I searched through 17 pages of threads on this forum... Did you mean something different?

Reverendpdp

mike1010

The built-in search function here is pretty rudimentary.  Try a google search instead, restricting the search to alantani.com.  Go to google.com, and then use this syntax to search:

site:alantani.com stuff-to-search-for

reel man

Don't think you really need a tutorial.  It's pretty simple to bolt the left side plate with both rings attached then bolt the right side plate with the rings attached directly on to the Tib frame.  Just pay attention to the screw length.  Hopefully you have screws that came with the frame.

Grease all screws, and apply a thin film of grease to the aluminum frame.

Newell Nut

It is usually simple as stated above but if your C model has the long cross bolts then it gets a little challenging. You may have to drill out a couple of the holes on the inner ring. You should notice it when you start to put it all back together.
Some of the C models do not have the long cross body screws but either way it is not that difficult.

If you search tutorials and you see 338 to 322 or to some other width everything is still the same.

PacRat

Also some of the Newell ring holes may need a little adjusting. I use a small needle file and open them each a little at a time with a lot of test fitting. You want them tight but not is screw or thread damaging territory. Remember it's always easier to take a little more material off than it is to put it back on.
good luck
Mike

Reverendpdp

Ok great.  Thanks for the replies.  I will try that.  It does not have the long screws but I was told my existing screws will not work, and unfortunately the Tib frame came without screws.  Randy suggested these, but told me to double-check on this forum for compatibility.  Seller says they're for the 447.  Will they fit the 338?  Here's the link. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-NEWELL-BIG-GAME-REEL-PART-P-447-F-Assembly-Screws-/291813183750?hash=item43f16bd106:g:PjkAAOSw3mpXK2KS

Reverendpdp

Can anyone tell me about the screws?   :'(

Reverendpdp

Well here's an update.  I decided to completely upgrade my 338, so I send it to Andy Smith in WA. (www.supertunereels.com).  Here's some of the work he did:
1.  Upgraded to carbon washers
2.  Upgraded to aluminum handle.
3.  Aluminum clicker.
4.  Tiburon frame
5.  Bryan Young side plate. 

It is smooth as butta!  New washers increased maximum drag capacity. 

Now if I could only find out how many yards of 50# braid this will take?

bigggfish

You should easily get 400 yards of 50# power pro on that.