Penn Catalogs - comments, questions, anomalies, etc.

Started by sdlehr, July 13, 2016, 02:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

This post piqued my interest, and I went to the scans of the catalogs I've got to see more. What I found was that Penn Catalog No 7 from 1939 definitely shows the 149 with no star drag, as posted by Mike above. I went to my copy of Penn Catalog No 8 page 15 from 1940 and found this

This clearly shows the reel with a star drag.

I asked Mike about the statement in his blue book that the 149 had no star drag for the first 3 years. He looked at his copy of the Penn Catalog No 8 page 15 and sent me this

So, "same" catalog with a different page 15; It would appear that there were two editions of the catalog for 1940 and we were working off of different ones.... Mike thought I was crazy until I sent him a scan of what I was looking at. Then he accused me of driving him crazy :)

Take-home lesson: Penn history is sometime elusive. Mike's conclusion, and I must concur, is that the 149 was probably available with and without star drag in 1940 and 1941. It is interesting that they would come out with a second catalog in 1940 and revert back to the same picture they used in the 1939 catalog for the 1941 catalog????? Somewhere there might be an explanation for this. I can't imagine what it might be.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

I do not care how long I do this. And how many times I think I have found about everything there is to find about old Penn reels. There is always going to be a guy like Sid to ask a question that seems completely ridiculous that is backed up by new documentation from vintage catalogs.

Yes, the early 149's are knuckle busters for the first three years of their production, unless, like Sid, you happen to find a second edition #8 catalog, that is not supposed to exist in the first place, where you will find a star drag version of the 149.

Possibly, one of the artists doing the drawings of the reels for the catalog in 1940 was bored, so he decided to get cute and add a star drag to the 149 just for giggles. One never knows what lurks in the mind of a bored artist ??? ??? ???

Tightlines667

Love it.

Now watch..

Sid is going to find a 149 waffle click, yardage-marked stand, 149 with a star drag.  Only thing is, that of course parts are interchangeable.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Sid, that paper appears to be in too good of a shape and different color. :-\
Here is mine:

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 14, 2016, 08:40:25 AM

Sal
I downloaded mine from Penn Parts. No secrets here. I don't have the original, just the pdf scan.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Alto Mare

Quote from: sdlehr on July 14, 2016, 01:26:30 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on July 14, 2016, 08:40:25 AM

Sal
I downloaded mine from Penn Parts. No secrets here. I don't have the original, just the pdf scan.

Sid
Sid, I wasn't questioning where yours came from, I was questioning the image itself.
To me looks like that pic has been altered, as someone adding the star and copying it, but I'm no expert. 
Maybe the 149 with the star from that era does exist, I personally doubt it :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Sal, what you saw was because I took a photo of the pdf file so I had a small jpg file to post; and in the process I altered the color. The original is on a white background. I don't think it has been altered. I've attached the full pdf file for you viewing pleasure! We have been discussing p 15.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Alto Mare

Thanks Sid! the reel would not amuse me, but I would love to see that catalog...if it exists. I still doubt it.

mo65

So if that 149 had no drag star...I'm guessing it was direct drive? Awesome old reel! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

Quote from: mo65 on July 14, 2016, 05:27:01 PM
So if that 149 had no drag star...I'm guessing it was direct drive? Awesome old reel! 8)
It was a knucklebuster with a free spool lever....

Sid
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 14, 2016, 04:53:47 PM
I would love to see that catalog...if it exists. I still doubt it.
That would mean someone went to a lot of trouble.... for what purpose? Boredom? I believe it is real.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

QuoteI would love to see that catalog...if it exists. I still doubt it.

That would mean someone went to a lot of trouble.... for what purpose? Boredom? I believe it is real.

OK, I looked a bit deeper. I went to Scotts and found the catalog Sid is using from the Scotts site. I went through the Scotts catalog page by page while comparing it to my #8 catalog. It must be a second edition. I found another difference. On page 11 of Scotts Cat #8 is the Sea Hawk picture:

This is a picture of the final Sea Hawk 150 yard available in 1941 and 1942. It seems that Penn is jumping the gun in the Second Edition #8 catalog.

Here is the same page from my #8 Catalog:

The wording is the same for the Sea Hawk and 149 in each edition. Only the drawings of reels are different.

This is not a unique happening. I own two editions of the #7. I will now have to look for this other edition, which I will call the ""Scotts Edition""

sdlehr

Mike, the picture of the Sea Hawk is different. Did you notice the design of the reel is also? One has the round gear well like the 15, the other has the little ear-like tabs that would have bridge screws if it were another reel design (that actually used bridge screws). Or is that what you meant by "This is a picture of the final Sea Hawk 150 yard available in 1941 and 1942."? I just noticed the handle nut is also different.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

Yes, the design is different. What is pictured in that oddball edition #8 catalog is the small 150 yard Sea Hawk that was sold in 1941 and 1942. It does not belong in this catalog, maybe. There are so many variables that are impossible to document, that I have to use the word """maybe""", almost all the time concerning these unexpected discoveries.

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, do the second edition catalog#7 look the same, as the same front cover, or is the second edition as an instructional manual repair parts list catalog?

The #7 Catalog second edition is really easy to miss. The front covers are exactly the same. I got my second edition by accident in a old Squidder box.

Frist edition is on the left. I do not know if this multiple edition case exists for the color cover edition. I suspect not.

After going through each edition doing a page by page comparison I found only one difference; but, it is a important one:

First edition, page 20 is on the left. Notice the addition of the Model 155 in the second edition page 20 on the right, which creates an introduction point for that model.