Penn Catalogs - comments, questions, anomalies, etc.

Started by sdlehr, July 13, 2016, 02:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteThree new categories are now available as requested

Thank you Sid!

Cuttyhunker

Having reread this thread a few times and downloading some images one thing I notice is the description of the 149, the 3rd "NEW", second sentence touts no more bruised knuckles.  To me I would think describing a dogged reel with a drag system.  Would it have meant refer to the new football handle, or is it simply an overlooked typo that the artist tried to conform the artwork to.  For that year catalogs which came first, star or knuckle buster?  In either case it seems the copy error was overlooked unless it was a handle claim. 
Doomed from childhood

Penn Chronology

QuoteHaving reread this thread a few times and downloading some images one thing I notice is the description of the 149, the 3rd "NEW", second sentence touts no more bruised knuckles.  To me I would think describing a dogged reel with a drag system.  Would it have meant refer to the new football handle, or is it simply an overlooked typo that the artist tried to conform the artwork to.  For that year catalogs which came first, star or knuckle buster?  In either case it seems the copy error was overlooked unless it was a handle claim. 

This is interpretation. It seems that Penn is referring to the handle. But the Knuckle Buster term almost always refers to reels without a drag and anti-reverse. That " Knuckle Buster" descriptive term was coined by the Southern
California Catalina Club "Tuna Hospital" at the turn of the century. 
         So it would seem that Penn is using the term loosely.

Dominick

I wish I had read this.  I spilled my coffee on my No. 7 catalog and threw it out.  Kidding. :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Swami805

Just wondering what's the best way to store the catalogs? Do you keep them in the box with the reel they came with or store them seperately so they don't stay folded?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

1badf350

I keep my full size A catalogs in this Gallery Leather inder from Amazon. The insert sheets are made specifically so as not to damage or stick to their contents.
https://www.amazon.com/Gallery-Leather-Presentation-Binder-Freeport/dp/B01EZ4LS8Y

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Maxed Out

Same plastic sleeves they use for comic books work great too
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Swami805

I guess put a note with them  to know which box they came from. Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alto Mare

I was using a much smaller folder, my wife saw it and came home with this one:

it is much taller and it is working out for me.

rings are a nice size,  the protectors don't get caught

The top portion is opened, so it would need to be handled carefully. I would have rather have those with a seal on top, but they could easely be replaced.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

AC49

Thanks Sal for the cool idea. They are worth some protection for the future  ;)

Regards
AC49

Cuttyhunker

Surfing the web I've been downloading some Penn old ads and this one has me thinking.  It is an Oct 62 sporting goods trade magazine featuring a 9/0 Senator with the logo under the eccentric.  I've read here that the logo was moved up under the harness lugs in the mid 50's, so is this just simply a case of Penn using old art, or did the logo go up at a much later date?      ???
Doomed from childhood

Maxed Out

You can't go by those illustrations Bob.

Some illustrations from the 30's were used well into the 50's

I believe the logo moved up to under the lug in the late 50's to early 60's

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Cuttyhunker

Thanks Ted, that's sort of what I expected, that Penn was just carrying forward Otto's Philosophy of wasting nothing. 
Doomed from childhood

Gfish

Sweet Sixteen. This 1951 #16 catalog is from a friend that use'ta live in San Diego. Remember the good ol' days when a store like Western Auto would sell outdoor equipment as well as auto parts? This dealer looks to be an independent small business.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!