Raymarine malfunction

Started by David Hall, July 21, 2016, 01:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

Last Sunday my Raymarine e120 fish finder wouldn't work, screen was black and no data. Mavigation screen worked fine.
I met up with my local Raymarine tech at the boat this morning.  After trying all the easy fixes and nothing worked, we tried a full system reset, uploaded the latest greatest version of software, from 2012 v5.65
Nothing worked, he tried the radar, nothing worked, need to check the dsm, where the hell is the dsm?
Somewhere between the transducer and the mfd!   Hmmmmm.  Can't find it, so he asks me to bring all my books so he can research it.  Says well get Raymarine on the phone to help BUT!
This is old technology you know?  Oh yes it was installed new in 2007, at a cost of 10k for the mfd and transducer.  Well you know Raymarine discontinued support for this unit!  I don't think they even offer repair service for it anymore, you might want to consider upgrading it now.  Sure cuz I'm loaded with money and I got nothing better to spend it on.  I was looking at adding and AIS transceiver, or maybe Flir night vision but I wasn't looking at a new mfd, dsm, and transducer.  Guess I need a second job. 

handi2

I have what you have installed in 2009. I just spent a few thousand to upgrade the DSM and all the software. I'll post the receipt and what was done tomorrow.

It now reads bottom at any speed and was going out just as yours was. Mine was the DSM 300 and did it occasionally but recently did it every trip.

1000kw thru hull transducer.

It was over $6k.

E120 updated
E180 updated
Radar updated
New Autopilot
New DSM but it's called something else now.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

It's the CP370 sounder module plus the parts, cables, adapters....
Gulf Breeze, FL

David Hall

Is that one of the chirp transducers the cp370?  I'm hoping just by replacing the dsm300 with a new one of the same brings me back to operational status.  It's only 3-400.00 for it. The chirp would require a new dsm and new transducer.

jzumi

Sounds like what I went through.

The DSM 300 was the old style and would say Connection lost intermittently so Raymarine upgraded me for free to the CP370.  (AFter hours of frustration it took a call to Raymarine tech support to get it to scroll correctly-- trick is you have to select a transducer, doesn't matter which one you choose, doesn't even have to match the transducer you are using...)

Anyway here is the situation as I understand it:

!. 80 and 120 series systems use the old power hungry screens and these screens are notorious for lamp failure.  When that happens you can no longer use the unit in any meaningful way.  Current systems use lcd screens (or something like that) and use much less power for the screen and don't have lamp failure.

This is why these old series are "not supported" i.e., the new generations of digital FFs and Chirp transducers won't work with them.  (Actually the digital FF works okay but you cannot go to Chirp and take full advantage.)

So, yes, you and I who have these older systems will pretty much be faced with going to a totally new system when the screen quits.  In my case, we are talking about Radar, FF, transducer, autopilot, chartplotter.  

One option:  while the old system still works, I am told to consider selling it on EBay for $1K and put that towards the new stuff.  Garmin here I come.

John

David Hall

John
I was thinking the same thing, sell it on eBay!  But I'm not sure exactly what is happening with it although at this point I am fairly certain it is the dsm300 has failed, I understand through Raymarine that you have to prove to them the unit just failed and wasn't damaged?  And if they agree they will send you the cp370?
I am running the R199 transducer, it wasn't cheap and I hate to replace it.  I am aware of the backlighting issue with the unit but knock on wood, mine has never had that particular issue.  I'm headed down this morning to locate and inspect the DSM and remove t if it looks like the problem.  Then see what my Raymarine rep has to say, I did locate a cp370 for 578.00 if worse comes to worse.
Thanks for all you guys posting replays I feel a little better this morning!
I will let you know what I find.

jzumi

David,

I took mine to Fred Fritz.  They took one look at the sticker that said where it was made and said "that's the one that was recalled."  They sent it back to Raymarine who sent the 370 as a free replacement.

If money was not an issue, I would simply replace my whole system with nice, reliable modern equipment.  For now, I'll cross that bridge when the screen quits or some other problem arises...

Good luck,
John

David Hall

Thanks for that John I will look more at that issue.  But first my update.
I met the technician at the Harbor this morning.  I brought my manuals on my full package.
He had a little project he was finishing up and I went to work removing wall panels to access all my electronics in search of the elusive dsm300.  I finally got smart and traced the cable back from the mfd up through the side of the helm into my upper electronics cabinet.  I removed my radio and speaker and was then able to fit my head sideways into the cabinet and spotted the dsm way over on the port side behind my Gauge and ignition cluster panel. 
  Just as I shouted out eureka!  I hear the technician say, fish finder is working!  Say what?  Yep it's back online.  He scrolled through and reset my transducer to the r199.  I rebooted the system several times and each time the sonar worked normally.  Then it started getting the frozen screen, reboot and back online, again and again, I hate when this happens, it's going to work until I'm out on the water and need it then it's going to take a crap again, I checked the unit and green light means go so I left it and we concentrated on why the mfd won't recognize the radar. 
So I don't know what the heck is going on yet, Raymarine service was prompt and helpful with asking for more information.  Now need to confirm the voltage across the radar unit itself and confirm 8 pin connector is good and if and when that doesn't work, call them back as I now have a service ticket opened.  Since the dsm came back online they don't want to worry about it anymore, they just want to help with the radar.

David Hall

Quote from: jzumi on July 21, 2016, 03:23:03 PM
David,

I took mine to Fred Fritz.  They took one look at the sticker that said where it was made and said "that's the one that was recalled."  They sent it back to Raymarine who sent the 370 as a free replacement.

If money was not an issue, I would simply replace my whole system with nice, reliable modern equipment.  For now, I'll cross that bridge when the screen quits or some other problem arises...

Good luck,
John

So out of curiosity what was it that the sticker said ?  I mite have to pull mine out just to look at it. Also was the cp370 a direct swap or did you have to get extra cables and or adapters?

jzumi

Quote from: David Hall on July 21, 2016, 06:42:38 PM
Quote from: jzumi on July 21, 2016, 03:23:03 PM
David,

Good luck,
John

So out of curiosity what was it that the sticker said ?  I mite have to pull mine out just to look at it. Also was the cp370 a direct swap or did you have to get extra cables and or adapters?

I believe it said made in Mexico.  They had to send an adapter for the cable.  The old style is subject to intermittent loose connection...

FatTuna

All I can say is that I have two friends that have pretty modern Raymarine units and they have have issues. One of them is really new. It constantly goes out, freezes, becomes unresponsive. My other friend has a high end Garmin and the thing is amazing. The fish finder is so accurate I can generally figure out what type of species is under the boat.

handi2

Mine is better than it ever was. I would have trashed it all but it was more cost effective to update what I had.

You just need the right person that really knows these systems.

One thing I didn't ask was the make of the DSM300. It may have been the Mexico model. My electronic package is 7 years old. Only in the past few months has it been problematic but when your out in 1000' of water looking for the right spot you feel like throwing it all overboard.
Gulf Breeze, FL

David Hall

My system was installed as a package back in 2006.  Everything is original and outdated due to new technology.  It has been more than adequate for me though.  I have a great dual frequency transducer I just think the weak element is that dsm300 although considering its 11 yrs old I'm probably lucky it has lasted this long. I have decided to pull it out this weekend and send it in to Raymarine and see if they will send me the cp370 although I read somewhere that free upgrade was to end in January 2014. 
  I haven't resolved the radar issue, I plan to do the voltage check and visual inspection myself tomorrow and see what Raymarine has to say after that.

David Hall

Went out this morning and pulled the DSM300, Made in Mexico!
Wrapped it up and for 36.00 shipping it will be with Raymarine service department by next Friday, 7-10 days with them and we will see what happens.
Spoke with the Raymarine tech about my radar, he says I think we need to send it in for service! Oh man that's gonna hurt It'll cost a bundle to ship it, well maybe there's one thing we can try he says, I'll order a new I.O. Board for it and see if that fixes the problem, that's only a couple hundred bucks.  So maybe there's positive progress but it sucks to be without fish finder and radar and the tuna heading in!

handi2

The Raymarine dealer in our area is Georges Marine Electronics. The head tech is also the owner of the company.

His workers do all the work then he comes out later to sea trial and check everything.

My main reason for contacting him was my Autopilt needed replacing. I don't remember what radar unit I have but its enclosed and its a 25 mile unit. It has never acted up. The radar and the Flir camera puts me at ease running in the dark.
Gulf Breeze, FL