Sharing an idea. Squid jig bait.

Started by Nasty Wendy, July 21, 2016, 05:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nasty Wendy

I picked up a few 5oz jig heads and matched them up to soft head trolling lures.  The jig heads are also glow in the dark and they matched up pretty dang good.  You'll have to drill out the trolling lures to be able to push them onto the jig heads.  I hope to give these a test this weekend.

Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

Bill B

looks good....I'd eat that.. ;D   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Rancanfish

What are you testing them on?  Would probably work on Lings / rockfish.  But you could troll too......
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Nasty Wendy

At the camp at Venice Marina. I'll be rig fishing in the morning and fish the rip line Sunday. So itll get tested in both scenarios.
Hi I'm Clay.

Nasty Wendy

Bummer.  Weather prevented the fishing trip.  Maybe later in during the week I'll get a chance.
Hi I'm Clay.

handi2

They should catch any bottom dweller out there. I use something similar called a squid jig that is store bought. It too has the glow in the dark.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: handi2 on July 24, 2016, 11:20:10 PM
They should catch any bottom dweller out there. I use something similar called a squid jig that is store bought. It too has the glow in the dark.

What I REALLY want to try them on is Tuna.  You know how you see them busting at the surface but they move around.  You can't get the boat within casting distance of them before they've surfaced 400 yards off the side of the boat when they were in front of you.  The 5 oz jig head should afford some very long casts.  We always get just out of reach before they dart off to the next spot somewhere around the boat.  Yes we chum to bring them in but sometimes it doesn't draw them in.  With the 5 oz jig head I should be able to hit one of them between the eyes and knock him out and go pick him up out the water. LOL.  I should be able to get this lure in the midst of their short duration feeding frenzy.  I'm curious to try that.
Hi I'm Clay.

pjstevko

Quote from: Nasty Wendy on July 25, 2016, 03:55:00 PM
Quote from: handi2 on July 24, 2016, 11:20:10 PM

What I REALLY want to try them on is Tuna.  You know how you see them busting at the surface but they move around.  You can't get the boat within casting distance of them before they've surfaced 400 yards off the side of the boat when they were in front of you.  The 5 oz jig head should afford some very long casts.  We always get just out of reach before they dart off to the next spot somewhere around the boat.  Yes we chum to bring them in but sometimes it doesn't draw them in.  With the 5 oz jig head I should be able to hit one of them between the eyes and knock him out and go pick him up out the water. LOL.  I should be able to get this lure in the midst of their short duration feeding frenzy.  I'm curious to try that.

or after they dive deep drive over to the area and drop that jig down 200+ feet down and put the rod in the holder then punch the throttle away from the area causing the jig to race towards the surface....that action causes some awesome reaction bites of not only tuna but wahoo as well....

Nasty Wendy

Yeah would need a steel/cable leader for sure.
Hi I'm Clay.