Tiagra 80W...new model vs old model parts swap question

Started by Jagsare1, July 23, 2016, 08:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jagsare1

I have a new style 80 and the old style 80. The new style has a SS side plate that the drag lever rides on. The plate has holes and when you move the drag lever up or down, it clicks and requires a slight pressure to move it up or down.

The old style has the same side plate but it has no holes and the drag lever does not click as it move up and down. The drag lever moves WAY too easy.

The question is, will a new style side plate with the holes fit the old style reel? Can I make it where the drag lever clicks as it moves up and down?  I want to make the reels identical if possible. Thanks.

Tightlines667

Good idea.

I am sure the new parts (TT0728&TT0729) will be direct replacements.  Kinda expensive upgrade though at $42.07+$42.57+shipping.

You should tear the reel apart, clean everything up, and see what other parts need replacing before placing an order though.  Usually you will need drive shaft bearings, and a pinion bearing at a minimum, and may need a ratchet plate, clicker pawl, and other worn/damaged bearings.  I like to replace the Bellevilles as well.  Sometimes the drag plate or disc, and high speed (or both) gear set need replacing as well.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Jagsare1

Both reels are new. I assume I don't have to do the other things.

I am wondering why I cannot see this thread in the thread listing. I can only see it when it is the first thread and I see it on the page where all threads are?

handi2

Under the drag lever are nylon washers. Usually a black one first and then almost clear ones. By adding another one of these washers it adjusts the tension on the lever.

Even if you swap the quadrant ring the adjusting nylon washers will be needed. If any more adjustment is needed.

If the reels have never been opened this is what they will look like inside. These are 50's.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

FatTuna

Quote from: handi2 on July 23, 2016, 11:19:29 PM
Under the drag lever are nylon washers. Usually a black one first and then almost clear ones. By adding another one of these washers it adjusts the tension on the lever.

Even if you swap the quadrant ring the adjusting nylon washers will be needed. If any more adjustment is needed.

If the reels have never been opened this is what they will look like inside. These are 50's.

Keith

That's a good trick. I'm going to try that on mine.

ohfishalee

are these the reels for sale on another site?

Quote from: Jagsare1 on July 23, 2016, 08:58:40 PM
I have a new style 80 and the old style 80. The new style has a SS side plate that the drag lever rides on. The plate has holes and when you move the drag lever up or down, it clicks and requires a slight pressure to move it up or down.

The old style has the same side plate but it has no holes and the drag lever does not click as it move up and down. The drag lever moves WAY too easy.

The question is, will a new style side plate with the holes fit the old style reel? Can I make it where the drag lever clicks as it moves up and down?  I want to make the reels identical if possible. Thanks.