No free spool on Lexa 400HD

Started by ctran, July 24, 2016, 04:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctran

Hi guys.

I have a Lexa 400HD. Was out fishing today and tossing jigs when all of a sudden my reel lost free spool. Made me loose one of my favorite jigs. But my main concern is why it's not free spooling. Has this happened to anyone? Any ideas on what this could be and how I can fix it?

johndtuttle

Quote from: ctran on July 24, 2016, 04:23:11 PM
Hi guys.

I have a Lexa 400HD. Was out fishing today and tossing jigs when all of a sudden my reel lost free spool. Made me loose one of my favorite jigs. But my main concern is why it's not free spooling. Has this happened to anyone? Any ideas on what this could be and how I can fix it?

So are you saying that when you depress the thumb button the reel will not go out of gear?

OR that when casting the handle trips the kick return lever and puts it in gear?

ctran

When I depress the thumb button. I took off the left side plate to see if I can pull the spool off and it's stuck.

Keta

Most likely a bad spool bearing.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Possible pinion gear and/or spool shaft damage, that would "lock" the two together? Perhaps the spool cross pin stuck in the notch in the pinion gear?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

johndtuttle

Quote from: ctran on July 24, 2016, 07:09:16 PM
When I depress the thumb button. I took off the left side plate to see if I can pull the spool off and it's stuck.

You are gonna have to take off the right side too to see what is up. I would be worried that the spool pin that both keeps the spool bearing on and mates with the pinion is lose and binding.

Other than that all of the above posted possibilities are in play too.