Need a new 2 speed for 80-100lb

Started by Swami805, July 24, 2016, 06:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I've been putting together 3 set-ups for a buddies kid as a college graduation present from his family. The last set up is a calstar gf765h all rollers for fishing 80-100lb mostly for trolling but some big bait fishing too. I'm not really up on speed on what's out there in 2 speeds so I'm looking for advice. Personally I would think a penn international that's been all tricked out might be good since that would be good bang for the buck these days but some of these new reels look really good too. Something that's withstood the test of time and been around for a few years. Budget would top out about 600- 700 bucks. Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

akfish

You can do a lot better than a tricked out Penn International. I'd look at an Avet HX Raptor or an Okuma Makaira 20.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Old school is cool for us older guys but a young buck may want the newest, tried and true shinny reels with all cool stuff already in there. In that price range there are many offerings and I will list a few, not in any order of best or anything but something you or your friend may want to look at.

Avet Raptor HXW, either the two or three speed's.

A little bigger and heavier.
Okuma Makaira 20SeA

Even a bit bigger than the Okuma.
Penn 30 VSX which is narrow.

Accurate? well it won't fit the budget.

Some of the smaller reels like the 16 size by several manufactures will fish 80 fine but when you really need to fish 100 lb they just don't match very well to that test IMO.

P.S. With the above said I assumed you were looking to braid back the reels if not just say so and maybe there are some other reels you should to look at.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Swami805

Thanks for the input, it looks like between an accurate bx2 30, shimano talica2 20 or okuma mk 16. Any opinions from the crew that services these reels would be greatly appreciated.
The reel we have already for 30lb is a gently used shimano tn20 just serviced by shimano and a tn40 for 60lb modifided  by Cal. Thinking we might try to find a gently used one as a lot of people buy these larger reels and they don't see much use.
Thanks in advance

SoCalAngler

Not sure where the gear will be used and type of fish, like large tuna from a sport boat where chasing down a big fish will not happen in most cases.

Like I said some 16 sized reels will fish 80 fine like the MK 16 with 400 yards of 80 lb braid but may not be the best for 100 lb test, which in most may mean 130 braid over a topper of 80 or 100 lb test. I feel the braid should be at least one or two line classes over the topshot used in this line class.

If your fishing from a yacht there backing down on a fish is fine then sure a 16 sized reels will work great. But, if fishing from sport boats where a long soak may mean getting bit or not and there is no real chance of backing down on a fish a 16 sized reel may not be the best bet.

I'm sure you will find least costly Shimano products on the used market but that should not come into play when your looking for the best.

A BX30II will put you closer to what your looking for and if your down to service theses reels they are fine. But, I have found when Accurate starts the charges for service they replace everything which can be a good thing but also costly.

MarkT

The Mak 16 will take 600 yds of 100# spectra. I use mine for 80# but could go to 100#. Plenty of cows taken on the 16 by good fishermen on 100#. Me? I use the Mak 20 for 100#!  Both of mine are the Silver Sea versions.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

So Mark you you don't use your mak 16 for 100 lb toppers? Like I said they can be used for that but not the first choice by most. Friends don't let friends fish 100 lb in cow town! Too many hart breaks.

MarkT

I have both so haven't needed the 16 for 100#. I'm sure it would do fine and is smaller/lighter than the 20 which is the size of a Penn 30.

I haven't had a shot at a cow yet! If I though it was a possibility I'd leave the 16 in the rack. While cows have been landed on the 16 I don't think too many would pick it as the best cow reel.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

i have a mak 20 for 100# and a mak 50 for 130#.  i am still looking for a mak 16 for 80#. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

Thanks, I should have been a little more specific. I looks like it will be mostly yacht fishing on the troll although he does do a few short lr trips 3 to 5 days so not alot of cow fishing unless the bluefin stick around. He's going to fiji next month but it's a surf trip and they live on the boat for 3 weeks and he wants to fish while traveling or when not surfing so mostly trolling for this set up.
Sounds like the mak 20 is the way to go, Fill it with 130 hollow with room for 100 yards of mono on top so he doesn't have a bunch of braid soaking up diesel behind the boat and a little bit of stretch would be good too.
I agree that fishing anything less than 100lb for cows on a sport boat is a bad idea. Go as heavy as you can, 100 for the smaller baits, 130 for the chunk and skippies and whatever will fly on the kite.
Thanks again for the help, Great site, I'm getting more addicted by the day.

thorhammer

My vote is 30 or 50 VSX.....for the simple reason this site exists in the first place...parts and service are and will always be readily available....my 02.

John

Swami805

Personally I agree still have my internationals 2 speeded by cal from back in the day. Just sold a avet ex50 sds because I trust the penns. One of my all time favorite reels is my 12 2 speeded by cal. I also like the 70 I use for kites, nice 200lb reel. Youngins get on the internet and want the latest version of whatever is the flavor of the day.  Just want a few expert opinions instead of the usual bias noise on other sites, thanks for all the help Sheridan

Dominick

I have a Penn International 30W and 50 vxw.  Both in excellent condition.  Both are for sale if you are interested.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.