113 and jigmaster 10 tooth sleeve

Started by mikeysm, July 25, 2016, 03:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

Alan i hate to say it but there is too much play in your 10 tooth sleeves. Is there a way to drill and put in a slightly larger pin. Shimming the base is the wrong way to go.

Mike

Alto Mare

Mike, you should have 0.20mm of space, place two sheets of standard paper and see if they fit nicely, if so, you have 0.20mm.
Alan, his men and myself call that perfect, Penn as the same.
I know that there is talks about some liking the sleeve to be tight here, If you like to have yours snug as well, go for it, but we don't recommend it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mikeysm

Sal ask Fred he had the same problem. The sleeve sets up to high and the dogs are not fully contacting the sleeve teeth. The excessive play just make it worse. The 8 tooth sleeves fit perfectly.

Alto Mare

I'm not disagreeing with you or Fred, this is just my opinion.
Keep in mind the new dogs and bridge are stamped, giving the impression they're thinner, this is not the case when comparing.
Here is a pic of the custom bridge on the left, Penn stock in the middle and custom bridge that has not been stamped on the right, all are of the same thickness.

If you take a closer look at Penn stock bridge ( that's what you should go by most time when comparing), the stock sleeve is actually 0.10mm taller than the other two.

I believe the custom bridge and sleeve will do just fine, to me they appear to be spot on, but as mentioned above, this is just my opinion, you guys take it from here.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mikeysm

Sal compare Alan Tani's second generation sleeve it fits like it should.

Black Pearl

The reason my resource advised me not to make the sleeve hole to snug on the bridge post. If the heat builds up, there should be some breathing room between the post and sleeve, otherwise, it might cause some problems. They are pretty sure that was why Penn made it not snugging the post.

Some people like it snug, and other like it loosen. Member can return the 10 tooth gear sleeve to me for full refund if he does not like my sleeve not snug.

So far, I have not had any complain from any member on the failure of these 10 tooth gear sleeve.

Keta

Can you measure the thrust with a feeler gauge so we know how much it is?   Too little and your reel will lock up. My gearsleeve and bridge plate have acceptable thrust.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mikeysm

I made a mistake it wasn't Fred who had the same issue it was Keith. This is the post I was referring to.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18708.msg197517#msg197517

mo65

I should probably just mind my own business here because I'm far from an expert on this issue...but I've made some observations on this gear sleeve/post fitment problem...and nobody else has effectively addressed what I've observed.
First, nobody wants their sleeve so tight as to cause heat to be an issue. What everyone wants is a nice solid feel...within tolerance. This can be harder to accomplish than you'd expect when we're dealing with a product that has been manufactured longer than most of us have been alive. There are always going to be some sleeves and posts that just won't work together. 
Second, While I have seen sleeve/post slop that was just way over the top, I'd have to think most complaints are addressing endplay that a simple shim can take up. Shimming a few thousandths under the sleeve isn't going to mess up ratchet/dog contact at all. Just use common sense. If you yank on the sleeve and it pulls back and forth .030  the parts aren't compatible.
Third, new guys to the site reading these threads and wanting to hop up a reel are on the fence..."what if my parts won't match?" Don't sweat it, Alan has stated anyone who bought a sleeve that can't be matched properly to a bridge post can get a full refund.

With all the sleeve/post issues I've personally had...I have to say...Alan's 10 tooth was the only one I've installed that was a perfect fit! Coincidence? Stars lined up perfect? Who knows...LOL...roll the dice...buy a bag of shims...and build a badass reel for us to slobber over. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handi2

The distance between the bottom of the sleeve and the top of the bridge was 0.30 thousands. It was the same thickness as the Delrin washer. That's what I grabbed to check it with. I switched to the 8 tooth sleeve and it's fine. The only reason I changed the gear sleeves is because of the thickness of the dogs on the double dog bridge. They are already thinner than the ratchet which is fine but if I shimmed the sleeve it would have been to high.

I have used plenty of the 10 tooth sleeves on Penn bridges and they fit fine.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Black Pearl

This issue has been addressed with. The new batch 113H sleeve will have two pinholes. A person can choose how tight the sleeve should be.

alantani

anybody that tries to make these is certainly for their share of frustration.  alan chui will certainly appreciate this.  there are so much variability in the bridge plates, year to year, model to model.  sometimes it seems like the posts were just punched in anywhere, almost randomly, and the height of the retaining pin hole just as random.  as far as heat goes, i don't think these things will heat up enough or expand enough to compromise the fit, so if it's right on the money in terms of fit, you should not have a problem.  you would likely have to get up in the many hundreds of degrees before the metal expands enough to bind or seize.  as always, a good high temp lube is important, here. 

to answer your question, though, it might work to drill out the retaining pin from 2mm to 7/64ths of an inch (2.67mm).  the pin that is used is usually 2mm x 8mm and i'd be happy to mail them out.  it is possible that this might actually take up the amount of slack you need.  if it turns out to be too much, then you can always shave down the pin.  alan chui will have to let us know if this might actually work.  i'm not sure what size pin he used to start with.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I'm not sure how much heat is needed, but one of the sleeve did lock up on me during one of my tests a while back.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6517.msg68248#msg68248
Of course this wasn't the same situation as fishing the reel, so I'm not sure what would happen if the sleeve was a tight fit while fishing.
I have burned my hand a little by touching the star as I was pulling on the reel while the line was secured on a post, the drags were set pretty high.
I did this  20-30 times, pulling approximately 6' of line steadily and retrieving.
The reel got pretty hot.
If anyone didn't do it yet  and wanted to try it, make sure the line is always centered on the spool or it won't last long. Don't ask how I know.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare