First two builds since thumb surgery, slow and it sucked assembling bridge

Started by thorhammer, July 26, 2016, 03:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Had a minute to get back on bench after weeks away. Thumb hurt. Can't see. Took a long time but got two motors dealt with.

mo65

I bet assembling a bridge with a bum thumb was tough. I have a hard time keeping everything in place without getting a major cramp in my hand. Reels look great!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

reelrepair123

i use masking tape to hold the two upper and the dog bridge screw in place, turn upside down, add the two springs, pinion, yoke etc etc, slide the bridge set up in, turn a little, add the dog and spring, turn into place, flip over while holding everything in place, peel the tape up a little and tighten the dog screw first , but not all the way, then opposite upper screw, other upper  screw then add other lower bridge screw. forgot to add, i use a thin piece of rubber tube to hold all the drag washers and tension washer in place, after i tighten the dog screw , i turn the shaft to see if the dog is working properly, then tighten the rest , but before i tighten them all the way, i pull the tube out with a small needle nose pliers.  it works for me having small sausage fingers, bent arthritic fingers, etc etc. if there's a will, there's a way.  harryk

thorhammer

Harry, tru dat...the surgeon cut down through first joint almost to bone two weeks ago. Healing well but still painful  to keep prolonged pressure necessary to keep all springs and bits in place....I foolishly decided it was well enough to try to split a piece of cherry for the smoker....bad idea....

I changed direction on 501 after receiving knob from Lou; decided to build a reel around the knob, which is fantastic. Note perffed NOS Newell bars and seat and knurled cast control.

Cortez 4/0 waiting Ted's bars and clamp to finish in a couple weeks.

Note: My line and shock leaders match reels purely by coincidence. I do not have a problem. I do not have a problem. I do not have a problem. KMA. Ted polishes jack springs after everyone goes to bed. There I said it. Nanny nanny boo boo. lol

thorhammer

Quote from: Reel 224 on July 26, 2016, 01:36:37 PM
Reel work got my dexterity back when I had a stroke and my left hand was partially parallelized, as a matter of fact it was better then therapy. Now I am 100% and was after 6 months. Hope you get there soon.

Joe   

Thanks guys! already back to 80-plus percent. I had trigger thumb and couldn't bend thumb past 90 degrees. Now I can touch thumb to pinkie again; most dexterity is back just not strength and still tender but that will improve I think. 

David Hall

Note: My line and shock leaders match reels purely by coincidence. I do not have a problem. I do not have a problem. I do not have a problem. KMA. Ted polishes jack springs after everyone goes to bed. There I said it. Nanny nanny boo boo. lol
[/quote]

That is funny!

reelrepair123

Yogi_fish808

Beautiful reels man! Lou's acrylic knobs are pieces of art for sure, well worth building a reel around. Can't imagine being a reel nut and not having full dexterity, maybe time to get u an electric screwdriver? Makes zipping screws in and out quick and can torque down tight manually for ones that might risk being stripped or over tightened. Don't over do it so that thumb can heal up properly.

Aloha,
Kyle

mizmo67

Bad, bad Thor! No wood chopping. *wags scolding finger*

Honestly, can't imagine trying to do a reel repair with your hand wrapped up the way it is!
Nice.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on July 26, 2016, 03:20:43 AM
Had a minute to get back on bench after weeks away. Thumb hurt. Can't see. Took a long time but got two motors dealt with.

John can you post a pic of the left side of the 501, it looks like a long knobby cast control on the plate

your brave amigo, working with a wounded hand
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Quote from: mizmo67 on July 28, 2016, 05:36:20 PM
Bad, bad Thor! No wood chopping. *wags scolding finger*

Honestly, can't imagine trying to do a reel repair with your hand wrapped up the way it is!
Nice.

better every day! I'm about to send you an order for 113H rings to build out the last CC plates!!!

thorhammer

Hey Alex stuck in Philly at moment but will try for better pics tomorrow.  It's a cool little cast control that came on a sailfisher I bought years ago and I thought it would be good to have on this 501 conversion since I used heavy steel spool I had.

Thumb much better as far as dexterity but still trying to get strength back.  No more wood splitting for a minute. 

Shark Hunter

You are an Animal! Sir. ;D
I don't know what you do for a living, but I hate traveling to make a beer run.
That's about 10 minutes tops round trip.
I make the 12 hour drive to Florida, because I know what is out there.
I have the groceries to catch a Monster right off the beach.
We just haven't crossed paths yet.
You definitely have a problem if you build a reel around the knob. JMO  ;)

Life is Good!