Penn Squall 20LW with drag problems

Started by chainsaw1949, July 28, 2016, 08:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainsaw1949

Anyone run into the drag not backing off with the star drag turned all the way out? Friend is going salmon fishing at the end of the week and said he couldn't use his reel, drag not working. He bought it brand new and said its never been touched. I took it apart, carefully checking the order of the parts and condition. Its clean and well greased, the parts are all there and in order, example, the two tension washers are facing each other correctly. The only thing I did find is that when I cleaned everything and lubed the friction drag washers and metal drag washers they all stacked into the main gear and sat "high" above the level of the gear. Put it together anyway and tried it again. No go, the star wheel is backed off the the "drag is always on" so's to speak and slight turn of the drag and its too tight, no adjustment. So, took it apart and removed one friction washer and one keyed metal drag washer, they now seemed to be level inside the main gear. Double checked and the heavy metal drag washer at the end is facing the right direction, no problem. Put it back together and voila, we can back off the drag and slowly engage the wheel and get a progressively increased drag as we turn the wheel. Have to turn the wheel 3 times to begin getting drag and take up some slack i expect from removing the washers. Don't know if he'll get the full drag advertised for the reel now but at least it works for this trip. The removed keyed metal drag washer is .017 " thick and the friction drag washer is .024" thick. The washers are flat, smooth, no issues, so I am stumped as to why this reel drag won't back off.  I think he said it worked ok when brand new, that's why I was looking for possible issues with the metal drag washers. Any ideas from anyone on what's going on with this reel? Thoughts on what else to check when he gets back from this fishing trip.
Thanks, Bob
The world needs more Tackle boxes and less X Boxes

oc1

Perhaps the anti reverse ratchet slipped off its key and is not seated at the bottom of the gear shaft.
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/sql20lw.pdf
-steve

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

hurt locker

I have the same reel that has the same thing happen just not to the degree that you explained. I took it apart and checked but it is still the same. I have another that is still just as it came when I purchased it. Baffled me a bit but it is still ok to fish. Your friend know has the same drag in his Squall that comes in a Penn Welfare (2 Ht-100's and 2 keyed metal). I opened mine when purchased and greased the drag, so I thought maybe they just swelled up and the tolerance is very close??????

mizmo67

Hmm...are the clicker parts up inside the star warped or off kilter in there? That would possibly affect the drag.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

chainsaw1949

Hi guys
Steve, I found that schematic off Scott's as well when checking it out. I can read it, not like the one on the Penn site that need a micrroscope to read  ;D  Checked the anti ratchet and it seamed seated and in place. I was looking for anything that could force things out of place.

mizmo67 I did pull the other side off a have a look, lots of grease and appeared ok. I will check that again later though. Like I said before, this thing is like brand new inside and out, lots of grease and all looks good. I did grease the drag washers, they were kind of dry from the factory.

Real puzzle to me too hurtlocker. Maybe I should email Penn and see what they can come up with. Interesting to hear that someone else is experiencing the same thing....
Bob  

mizmo67

Tony at Penn might be able to troubleshoot for you.
~Mo

chainsaw1949

Thanks for the tip Maureen, I'll email to his attention.
Bob

RiverAngler

This may, or may not be the issue, but I had a customer bring me a 20 (not level wind) that had the same issue. What I found was the fact that he had the drag cranked all the way down..... and left it there all the time.  :o The drag washers had compressed and had squeezed out past the metal washers leaving them stuck to the inside of the main gear. The drag would not release no matter what he or I did. I had to install new washers, greased of course, and then I had to teach him Zen and the art of running the drag off when not in use.

Ralph
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

johndtuttle

Be sure to check if the line is not slipping on the spool. Many have scratched their head for days it was just that they didn't spool right.

Cor

Quote from: Reel 224 on July 28, 2016, 10:08:46 PM
Sounds to me like the drag stack is stuck or jammed not allowing it to compress or release properly. I would disassemble the drag system and check all of the washers making sure that there isn't a burr in the ID of the drag stack or the shaft. Some polishing wouldn't heart.

Just my two cents.

Joe   
Yes as I was thinking.  Are all the washers able to move freely inside the main gear without hanging on the inside of the gear itself or possibly on the Drive shaft?    Nothing bent or distorted or large burres anywhere?

Those fibre washers are notched, do they fit inside the slots in the gear snugly but can still move?
Cornelis

mizmo67

QuoteThis may, or may not be the issue, but I had a customer bring me a 20 (not level wind) that had the same issue. What I found was the fact that he had the drag cranked all the way down..... and left it there all the time.  Shocked The drag washers had compressed and had squeezed out past the metal washers leaving them stuck to the inside of the main gear. The drag would not release no matter what he or I did. I had to install new washers, greased of course, and then I had to teach him Zen and the art of running the drag off when not in use.

Ah, yeah forgot about the compression issue, that's more likely.
~Mo

akfish

I've seen the compression problem as well. It may be caused by the drag grease Penn uses on the Squalls -- their standard blue grease, not teflon based Cal's.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

chainsaw1949

Wow, thanks for all the replies, lots of good ideas and things to check. The ones that tweak with me are the possible compression problems. After checking out this reel I re-spooled it with backing and new line. Then I told my friend to remember to back off the drag on the reel as I was holding the bulk roll of line. He gave me a puzzled look and I had to explain that's how we store the reel. So I think that is very likely the cause of what is happening here. Will find out for sure when I get it back to rework. Thanks again for all your posts and suggestions, this is a great site.
Bob    

chainsaw1949

Follow up on this problem with the drag "on all the time".
Well, I got the reel back and four others he had that needed servicing too! I took the Penn apart again and checked all the items mentioned in your posts. Looks good. I washed and dried all the drag washers. Then using a sheet of very fine sandpaper I lightly ran the drag washers over the sheet until they all turned a light grey colour. That indicated to me they were flat and even. Re greased them all with Cal's grease, re assembled and now it works! I removed so little material from the drag washers they likely will last a long time with no issues. Live and learn....
Bob