Talica 12 II - drag range issue

Started by Smols, July 23, 2016, 05:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smols

Had a chance to try for big blue fin tuna with poppers yesterday. Since I do not have any set-ups that work well for casting a long distance and being able to handle a BFT up to 200+lbs (which is what we have right now in our southern California waters) - I borrowed a Talica 12II on a Calstar 800M loaded with 80lb braid to a 100b fluoro topshot. This was a pretty good setup for this type of fishing as I could cast the popper a good distance into the foaming fish. Not sure it would have been ideal for pulling in a 230b tuna, but you have to get bit first and every setup for this type of fishing is a compromise in one way or another. The fish would foam on the surface for short periods of time - so it was run and gun in front of the school, shut down, drift and hopefully be in a position to cast into the foamer. We only had two shots all day to cast into the fish because they were very skittish and would sink out after a short time.

Anyway, I want to service the reel for my friend because he is not sure when it was last done - and the drag goes to almost sundown immediately after the strike position.

Does anyone know what I can look at in this Talica 12II reel to try to get a smoother transition into full drag after the strike position?

Thanks!

redsetta

Hi Smols,
The Talica has an interchangeable drag cam, which changes the way the drag 'ramps up'.
They come with what's called a 'Long Range Special' cam, which ramps up fast and hard.
I've heard of a 'Mono cam' that has a more gradual curve, but can't seem to find where to get 'em.
This was the range available for the Torsa (which the Talica effectively replaced):
Perhaps try your local Shimano agent?
Let us know how you get on - it'd be good to know what's available.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Smols

Justin,

Thanks for this information, I appreciate it. You have helped me in the past with another question I had - just can't remember what it was now. Anyway, I plan to contact Shimano and ask about the cam. I should have known about the cam as I went through something similar with an Avet reel a few years ago.

Thanks again,
Paul