Truth Reels Review from Real User

Started by pwall1988, July 29, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwall1988

Thanks guys! I understand these fish are not worth to eat, so killing them is tough for me. This shark team is not your everyday sharkers. They use 20/0 Everols with Century Shark rods. These setups cost more than all my reels combined! They are very professional in how they catch and release the sharks. They even tag them so we can keep track of all the big sharks they catch.

When it comes to Kings, I actually eat my King mackerels! lol I wouldn't give those away to shark fisherman. This was my first Tarpon, I don't plan to kill anymore in my future. Ill make sure to get that NC citation next time!

Just wanted to show how these reels stand up to hard fighting fish like Tarpon. The LG was SCREAMING!!!

TIGHT LINES and good luck this season fellas!

anglingarchitect

I eat King Mackrel also and make lots of smoked fish spread with it if I can't eat it fresh. I killed my first Tarpon 52 years ago, but released hundreds since.

Mark

PERRO

Great review & photos !

Just ordered one from " Charkbait Tackle ".

I plan to use it @ my local Lakes, casting 10 1/2 once Savage Trout Lures for Stripers.

http://savage-gear.com/product/3d-trout-line-thru/

Dominick

Jeri, as usual a well expressed opinion.  I think the underlying issue of only taking what you will consume is being lost on some fishermen.  Which is another subject for another thread.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Jeri

Quote from: Dominick on October 07, 2016, 05:53:51 PM
Jeri, as usual a well expressed opinion.  I think the underlying issue of only taking what you will consume is being lost on some fishermen.  Which is another subject for another thread.  Dominick

Thanks for that Dom. I sometimes think that the global nature of the 'Tani Family' is overlooked.

More in keeping with this thread, I do think that Truth reels (Release - formerly) are an absolutely great product, and I woukld still be using mine to good effect on sharks and surf casting, had we not over here pretty much totally converted to using spinners and braid for our surf fishing.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

pwall1988

Hurricane Matthew Hit us Saturday here in NC. I fished Friday the night before. Managed to get 4 drum, 3 before the storm and 1 on Sunday after the storm all on the Truth SM. Surf was rough but fish were chewing! Truth SM got it done again!

PERRO

A few more details please: Do you have the " SM SURF " spooled with " 65 lbs Braid " ? ... & Top Shot of lbs ?

pwall1988

Not on the pier, braid is a big no no on piers. So I use 20lb mono with a 50lb mono shock leader. I use a Bimini twist to the no name knot.

Swami805

Just curious, why can't you use braid on a pier? Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

pwall1988

Ok, so going after big drum from the pier has become very popular in places like the OBX and TI. Sometimes there can be 50-100 rods on the rail. Sometimes the piers can catch up to 200 fish a day. There will actually be people waiting to get a spot to fish sometimes. When using braid, if you tangle with anybody it becomes a big headache. Also when a fish is running it can tend to cut the mono lines that it touches. Its kind of a unspoken rule on piers. If you show up with braid, you stick out like sore thumb. Braid has its place but the pier with 50 other anglers is not a good idea. This is the way it is in NC. I cannot speak for other states.

PERRO

Quote from: Swami805 on October 11, 2016, 11:55:37 AM
Just curious, why can't you use braid on a pier? Thanks

Thanks for the additional info & explanations.

I'm planning on using my " Truth SM " tossing Swimbaits ( 6 - 10 oz ) for Stripers, Spooled with straight 65 lbs braid, & a short Mono 24" Leader ( 40-50 lbs ).

I ordered a ABU Garcia Fantasista Beast Rod ( 10-1 EX EXH / 8-18 oz Lure / 60-100Line ) to use with the Truth SM Reel.
http://www.abugarcia.com/abugarcia-rods-casting-rods/abu-garcia-fantasista-beast-casting/1373580.html#start=4

My current set-up is a Diawa Lexa 400 & ABU Garcia Rod ( 8 -6 ExH / 6-16 oz rated / 50-100 lbs ).

PERRO

PS: I ordered the " Truth SM Reel " with a Reel Cover from " Charkbait Tackle ".. They provide one,  & squeezed on a " Med " Reel Cover.

Due to the Large Gear, a Large Reel Cover fits it " BETTER ".

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

pwall1988

Good stuff!! I've bought from Charkbait before, you cannot go wrong! They do a great job. Let us know how you do!

Newell Nut

Quote from: pwall1988 on October 11, 2016, 01:10:27 PM
Ok, so going after big drum from the pier has become very popular in places like the OBX and TI. Sometimes there can be 50-100 rods on the rail. Sometimes the piers can catch up to 200 fish a day. There will actually be people waiting to get a spot to fish sometimes. When using braid, if you tangle with anybody it becomes a big headache. Also when a fish is running it can tend to cut the mono lines that it touches. Its kind of a unspoken rule on piers. If you show up with braid, you stick out like sore thumb. Braid has its place but the pier with 50 other anglers is not a good idea. This is the way it is in NC. I cannot speak for other states.

Party boats in this area do not allow braid either and mainly due to safety concerns for the mates that have to deal with it and the safety of the passengers.