Handles

Started by mo65, July 31, 2016, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteHere is my 1937, 1st year 12/0.

My opinion on this handle knob is that it was added to a Penn Hnalde blade. The 12/0 reel you have with no front lugs is a very early 12/0 which probably had a straight handle. The straight was not popular and I feel many owners of the early handle type changed those straight handle to a torpedo handle by either buying a Penn version or having someone change out the handle knob. Can't know for sure; but, that turning done on the knob on your reel does not look like a Penn product. IMHO.....

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!

Deepennz

Thanks for the input, Mike.

I have taken the handle off the reel and taken a few photo's of it - however, despite spending a good 3-4 hours trying to upload the photo's, only one wanted to join the party!!
This shows the underside of the handle - there appears to be no file/drill marks on the underside,  but the shaft itself is shorter than found on my other Senators.
I am wondering if someone has cutoff/removed the original handle off the original blade, and somehow replaced it with the handle as found.
If so - cool!!  Having 3/4's of the original handle, and a conversation piece, appeals to me.
The knob does appear to be made of caitlain - seemingly the same as the others.

Cheers
Martin

mo65

Hey Mike, I was wondering if you could post a better look at the handle knob on the second Senator from the left in this pic. It appears to be very unique...looks like a green/black/white swirl.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteHey Mike, I was wondering if you could post a better look at the handle knob on the second Senator from the left in this pic. It appears to be very unique...looks like a green/black/white swirl.  Cool

Wish I could provide you with a better photo; but, unfortunately that reel sold years ago. The photo you used is of my office in 2013. I cropped the reel from the old photos I still have fro you to get a better look. The handle was sort of unique, guess that is why that 6/o sold rather than the other one. I always remember feel that reel was an ugly duckling because of the handle, maybe today I would feel different about it.

mo65

Thanks Mike. That is a one of a kind knob...very interesting colors. Even the limited view is good enough...just to show that it exists. 8)

mo65

Quote from: Swami805 on August 03, 2017, 04:37:17 AM

Was looking for some info on the handle, it has an aluminum knob. It came off a 155 with no part numbers and the handle has a coin edge on the counter weight and no number as well. Just wondering how long penn made them out of aluminum. Did the handle lady turn these too?  Thanks

I recently saw the Horrocks-Ibbotson pictured below sporting what appears to be the same handle. Only the lines in the knob are different. Swami's knob looks turned, where the H-I knob looks cast.

mo65

This is another one of those uncommon knobs that has been identified as a Duvall's Tackle special order in red. Love this stuff...thanks Michael Cacioppo for all the great info...and congrats to Milne on acquiring this gem! 8)

oc1

Catchy slogan and marketing.
-steve

basto

Quote from: mo65 on July 31, 2016, 08:31:07 PM
Hi Sid,
I was looking for a "handle info" thread around here...found quite a few questions about "will this handle fit a Shimano" or "will that handle fit an Abu"...but no kind of history about Penn handles through the years. I think this area would be a great place to have such a thread.
I have a handle question...and for lack of a better place to ask(this vintage forum is my best chance of an answer)I'll just ask here and you can move it to a more appropriate location I may have missed. Maybe even make it the first victim of a new handle info thread. ;D
My quandary, probably a simple one, is I have a handle the same size as a #24-155 but stamped #24-60. It has the older football shaped knob as opposed to the newer torpedo knob. Did this handle pre-date the 155 reel? Seems not to be likely...as it is numbered. I'd sleep better knowing the answer to this question, and many other handle questions too!  8)

Hi Mo
Not sure if you got this resolved, but was wondering if it is possible your handle was lightly stamped and is actually a 24-160 handle.
The 24-160 handle on my 160 is the only one I have seen.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

mo65

Quote from: basto on December 28, 2018, 11:15:06 PM
Hi Mo
Not sure if you got this resolved, but was wondering if it is possible your handle was lightly stamped and is actually a 24-160 handle.

Hi Greg. Mike Cacioppo said the #24-60 was used a few years in the early 50s and replaced by the #24-155. Maybe that was an attempt by Penn to keep from confusing it with the #24-160. At any rate...the #24-60 and #24-155 are identical...apart from the numbers. 8)

basto

Yes, and I think the 24-160 has a smaller handgrip.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

mo65

Quote from: basto on December 29, 2018, 07:52:12 PM
Yes, and I think the 25-160 has a smaller handgrip.

Yep, and the handle blade is a bit shorter too.

Penn Chronology

The early 1950's were the beginnings of the Part Number system and these beginnings were slightly different than the standard system we have today. Before that there were no part numbers. If you look at a 1950's Part Number list you will see what I mean. These is no 24-155 part number. Even for the 155 models, which had not become Beachmasters yet. The handle part number for a 155 was 24-60. What is funny is the part number for a Long Beach 60 handle was 24-66. Penn needed to realign the logic, which they did as time went by. Here is one part of the 1950's part number list with the 24-60 handle number.

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 01, 2019, 06:35:20 AMHere is one part of the 1950's part number list with the 24-60 handle number.
And still, the Long Beach 60 used the 24-66 handle even when there was a 24-60 handle in use on many of the smaller reels..... interesting.... a little mixed up, yeah. Where did the 24-60 handle get that designation if not from the reel? Could that be an error in the catalog? That actually makes more sense than to believe there was a 24-60 handle that wasn't first used on the Long Beach 60.....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

Quote from: sdlehr on January 08, 2019, 09:14:35 PM
And still, the Long Beach 60 used the 24-66 handle even when there was a 24-60 handle in use on many of the smaller reels..... interesting.... a little mixed up, yeah. Where did the 24-60 handle get that designation if not from the reel? Could that be an error in the catalog? That actually makes more sense than to believe there was a 24-60 handle that wasn't first used on the Long Beach 60.....

I think the earlier LB60s did have the #24-60. although they weren't numbered yet at that time. Comparing sizes of correct pre-war LB60 handles will reveal this. Some time around 1950 was the switch to the #24-66...at least according to my Long Beach stable. 8)