OCEAN CITY 112 TUTORIAL

Started by Dominick, August 02, 2016, 01:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

It's been awhile since I did a tutorial on a reel.  Here is an Ocean City 112.  I believe the reel is fairly common.  Mike Cacioppo is drafting a History of Ocean City reels so I would expect he would comment on the history of this reel.  I saw the reel in a photo that Fred Oakes posted and offered to buy it.  I've had it a while and recently cleaned my garage and got somewhat organized.  So here goes:  This is what the reel looks like.

The reel was taken apart and the left and right sides separated.

Here is a close-up of the brand and model.  Note the unique eccentric knob.  It's one of the features I really like about this reel.

This second close-up is the handle with a pretty clever innovation.  The handle assembly contains the wrench that removes the handle nut.

Here is the handle wrench removed prior to removing the handle nut.  The handle nut looks like it had a crack in it and I thought I would have to replace it.  However it is only a scratch on the surface.

Here is a photo with the eccentric disengaged.  What is clever about this set-up is that one half crank of the handle and the eccentric is automatically engaged.  The turning of the handle snaps the eccentric back in place.

This is what the inside of the right side looks like before taking it apart.

Once the screw is removed the entire mechanism (except for the bridge) on the right side plate can be removed.

This is it on the drag system.  One drag of an unknown material.

If one is interested in measurements here they are.  The drag was pretty thick.  I guess it had to be to be one drag.

Pull out the eccentric knob.  Note that it is in a square hole so remember to put it back in the same direction when assembling.

Here are all the parts ready for assembly.  The parts were placed in an ultrasonic cleaner for 15 minutes with some Dawn dishwasher soap and some Simple Green.

Screw in the bridge and drop in the pinion gear.  I tried to put it together without bolting the bridge in place and had to redo it.

When putting the bridge in place be careful of the dog and dog spring.  Here is a close-up photo of the dog in place.

These next photos show the assembly of the yoke and eccentric system.  Note I am showing the assembly without the bridge bolted in place.  This was my mistake so learn something by this.  Look at the slots in the lugs that hold the yoke springs.  The yoke and pinion need to be held down so the you may slide the eccentric into the the slots as the next sequence of photos shows.

Here is a photo of the left side of the reel.  Note where the oil/grease hole is located near the bushing.

Remember the oil/grease hole in the left side plate?  Well here it is from the inside.  Note the hole will lubricate the tip of the pin that activates the clicker. 

Drop the spool into the left side plate and continue to assemble the reel.

Here it is all assembled.  I do not think the handle is the correct handle and the screw is goobered up something awful.  I am in the market for an original handle with an unmarred screw.

This completes the tutorial.  I hope it helps someone.  I want to point out that I really like this reel and will get an original handle to bring it back to original status.  I would also point out the way the eccentric operates and handle wrench and the grease hole which were innovative when this reel came on the market.  Dominick

T
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Excellent work, Counselor --

If we have a staff meeting, I will bring you a few more old OCs to restore and keep -- since you gave me that really nice little 1/0.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bluefish69

I have a OC 112 with a white handle with an oiler in the middle. It also has a metal disc. with 112 OC stamped in it.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

mo65

Great tutorial Dominick. My 112 also has a white handle, and a fluted spool. That cool handle on yours could be original...I'm sure that reel had many changes over the years.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

bluefish69

I have the handle wrench that Dominick has & I can't tell with the spool it's filled with old line.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

mo65

Quote from: bluefish69 on August 02, 2016, 03:38:03 AM
I have the handle wrench that Dominick has & I can't tell with the spool it's filled with old line.

I just did a quick search and that handle is original. It appears to be used on the older OC 112s...and the handle and spool on my reel came along later when True Temper entered the picture.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

The crank handle/built in wrench is correct for that reel --

But I would wager that the maroon knob is from an old DAM Quick spinner -- likely 330 or 440 size.

OC reels came predominantly with hollow crank knobs made out of a type of celluloid or plastic that would desinegrate on its own after a certain exposure or just over time.

This crank knob would have been an effective fix after a self-destructing knob broke apart like an eggshell.

DAM crank knobs are a solid material -- and hold up well.

I have around a hundred unrestored OCs -- and some experience with DAM Quicks.

Just an observation...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jigmaster501

My father's 112 had a 3 stack drag system and I think the 155 washers worked well with the old brass washers. It didn't have the thick washer.

My father wants to actually use the reel after a 30yr layoff in the closet. I want to put it on the shelf.

The eccentric lever would be nice on the newer reels. Maybe we could have Tom come up with something for the Penn plates he is making.

Tightlines667

I never get tired of seeing pictures of your parts inventory Fred.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

newfuturevintage

Thanks for the tutorial, Dominick!

I've got a couple of these floating around, and I suspect that I'd never have noticed the built-in wrench if you'd not mentioned it. I've yet to tear into them; this will help greatly if/when I do!

Ron

newfuturevintage

FWIW, I took a look at the pair of 112s I've got here, one has the metal disc with the model info stamped into it, the other that information/graphic is stamped directly into the side plate. Neither spool is fluted, both have the same wrench-in-handle yours does, and both have the white plastic knob, one of which is about to explode, like Fred mentioned is common.

I should use these. Neat, simple reels.

Dominick

Quote from: jigmaster501 on August 03, 2016, 12:00:00 AM
My father's 112 had a 3 stack drag system and I think the 155 washers worked well with the old brass washers. It didn't have the thick washer.

My father wants to actually use the reel after a 30yr layoff in the closet. I want to put it on the shelf.

The eccentric lever would be nice on the newer reels. Maybe we could have Tom come up with something for the Penn plates he is making.

I suppose it would not be impossible for Tom to do something like that but it would require a big change in the way the eccentric will work.  I would like something like that on a stronger reel for live lining in Baja.  I like the feeling of the rod going south when you slam the reel into gear on a running fish.  I know its not good for the reel but it sure is fun.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Thanks sir I think I have a couple of these to look at.  Hope to see you next month.

John

Dominick

One of the big pleasures of having joined this site is the friendship of the members I have met.  After posting this tutorial I received an unsolicited package in the mail.  What do you suppose it was???? An Ocean City 112 with red plates.  It turns out an Ocean City 112 with red plates is pretty rare and my friend Broadway Dom thought my black Ocean City from the photos above needed a mate.  So here are the two together.  I already thanked Dom but I need to thank him again.  Dom my friend you are the best.  Dominick

Here is Ocean red in pieces after a run through my ultrasonic cleaner.

I didn't bother to take photos as it went together since it is the same as the tutorial above.  Here are the mates side by side.

I had lighting trouble with the above photos.  My workbench is in front of a window and the light is okay for working on the bench but the light coming in the windows as one wants to take a photo makes for tough lighting.  I placed a big piece of cardboard behind the reels so that the light coming in the door would work better.  Here are the results.

Let's hear it for the cute couple.

thorhammer

Nice set of matched bookends you got there!