Line conditioner

Started by Bill B, August 05, 2016, 04:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I recently went through a noise issue with a spinning reel, sounded like the rotor was scrapping and was driving me nuts, torn the reel apart twice only to find out it was the line running over the winder on the bail, the line was about 3 months old and acquired ridges from laying in top of each other, what can I use to lubricate the line and end this noise? Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

Quote from: TARFU on August 05, 2016, 04:52:29 PM
I recently went through a noise issue with a spinning reel, sounded like the rotor was scrapping and was driving me nuts, torn the reel apart twice only to find out it was the line running over the winder on the bail, the line was about 3 months old and acquired ridges from laying in top of each other, what can I use to lubricate the line and end this noise? Bill
Bill I would change the line.  It sounds like there is too much twist in the line.  Try taking it out on a boat and letting the line out while the boat is underway to remove the twist.  It might work.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Thanks Dom....will do...Bill

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

One thing I do is when heading out I will let line out on the reels I will fish for the day. Mono and even fluoro to a lesser extent will absorb water. I let line pay out for a ways as the boat leaves harbor or even inside. No lures but maybe a weight or hook to get enough pull to let the line out when at slower speeds. I will let the line drag behind the boat for a couple of minutes before reeling it back. This lets the line on top lay better, no salt stickiness between layers and the line will come off the reel without kinks or coils from being on the spool. 

Bill B

Thanks for the tips my brothers......Bill

boon

You can rapidly put a whole lot of twist in the line if you wind it and the pressure is such that you don't gain any line because the spool just spins with the rotor... can be quite hard to notice it happening in the heat of a fight with a good fish but it will quickly make your line behave like a slinky.

Tiddlerbasher

Don't try and wind while the drag is paying out - it will cause a lot of twist.
Egg beaters twist line as they wind in. When you cast the line should straighten out.

Wally15

There are commercially available "line conditioners" that help somewhat on mono and flouro, especially in freshwater and on lighter lines (12-20#). A 4 oz spray bottle is about $12 from BPS. Probably cheaper on fleabay. Works best if you 1st apply as you respool, then a quick application to the full spool during the day. Doesn't do much for braid, however.
20+ years ago, when I was doing a lot of freshwater bass fishing, there was a product called Tangle-Free that worked really well on baitcasters. Haven't been able to find it anymore. I think it was silicone based.
For spinners, pay out the empty line at trolling speed and most of the line twist should come out. All the line conditioner in the world couldn't keep line twist out of a spinner.
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Bill B

Joe, I'm thinking the dish soap and water is what I'm looking for, something to lubricate the line and lessen the noise going over take bail.  Line twist hasn't been a big issue....yet.....but will take some time to drift the line periodically.....thanks for all the tips my brothers....Bill

smnaguwa

Went to the Sac river to cast spinners for salmon(no luck) which put a twist in my Nanofil line. Went home and let out line and used an electric drill to untwist the line.

oldmanjoe

:)  I know this is a old post but , i use good old fabric softer for mono .         Cast nets love this treatment .   cleans them and make it very supple .  joe 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Kinda wondering through all these replies: Did Bill have mono or braid on his spinner, and whats line twist godda do with ridges(which kinda make it sound like it'ed be braid).
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

It was mono......I used the dish soap trick and it worked for a awhile, but will need to be refreshed after a couple hours.....Bill

Benni3

I have used powerbait trout attractant scent in the white bottle