Penn Trade Reels

Started by coastal_dan, August 08, 2016, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Sid, the Sea Gate and the Long Beach are the same reel. Penn lowered the price of the Long Beach by creating the Sea Gate to attact commercial buyers. The difference between the reel models was the handle on the first year Sea Gate. The following Sea Gate's were different from the Long Beach because of the finish process used on the chrome plating. They are essentially the same reel.

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 17, 2016, 04:17:31 PM
Sid, the Sea Gate and the Long Beach are the same reel.
That's why I said the one pictured on the left could be either the Sea Gate or the Long Beach, but the one on the right with the round gear box cannot be either. Oh, I see now, I originally misunderstood John. I get it now. Thanks. Sorry for the confusion.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

coastal_dan

I spoke with Brain (Oceanreels) after surfing his awesome website and he gave permission for sharing some of his photos.  All photos in this particular post are his reels.  The L.L. Bean 249 is especially droolworthy to me  ::).  The Baker Beach's are stunning as well....and the Shultz Senator....I could go on...

Enjoy and thanks Brian for sharing the photos  ;D

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

coastal_dan

This thread has allowed me to talk to some amazing individuals. This 'sport' of collecting is mind boggling in its commodore and willingness to SHARE information...I flippin' love it 😀  With that said, I present to you an Abbey & Imbrie / Penn; this reel is owned by Eric Kramer, the photo credit goes to him, thanks for allowing me to share!

Dan from Philadelphia...

sdlehr

So Dan, an A&I 165 was equivalent to the Long Beach 65?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

QuoteSo Dan, an A&I 165 was equivalent to the Long Beach 65?

Sid

That may be true on Tuesday; but, by Thursday the A&I 165 could be  Pflueger Templar!

broadway

I've only heard of that reel, but never seen it (the A&I).  Thanks for showing, Dan. That box is awesome!
Brian has the coolest, toughest to find, one of a kind, most bad to the bone Penn reels ever... and he knows how stuff!
Dom

Tightlines667

Quote from: broadway on August 23, 2016, 12:35:42 AM
I've only heard of that reel, but never seen it (the A&I).  Thanks for showing, Dan. That box is awesome!
Brian has the coolest, toughest to find, one of a kind, most bad to the bone Penn reels ever... and he knows how stuff!
Dom

X2
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

coastal_dan

Getting this back rolling...I added this Penn 66 J.C. Higgins Trade reel to the group the other day...currently torn down and soaking.

A few trade reel boxes from the auction site...Not Mine, but great for reference...

And a fantastic listing from Eric on the A & I Trade reel.  Looks like 3x available models...

Dan from Philadelphia...

Penn Chronology

Interesting how Abbey & Imbrie simply added a "1" to the stock Penn Model Number.

oc1

Abbey and Imbrie also put their name on Julius Vom Hofe reels.  Not to difficult to figure out because they left the Julius Vom Hofe patent dates and the handle knob is distinctive.
-steve

side note: Julius Vom Hofe was the less flamboyant older brother of Edward Vom Hofe and heir to the Fredrick Vom Hofe reel company.

coastal_dan

Cleaned up!  Not perfect, but patina is starting to grow on me...battle scares...they say "hey boy, do I have some stories for you!"

Dan from Philadelphia...

mo65

It cleaned up nice Dan...love those old Higgins reels. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Looks nice, that red and yellow knob is a real stand-out
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

There's nothing wrong with honest wear and character.  At least that's what I keep telling myself.
-steve