Penn Trade Reels

Started by coastal_dan, August 08, 2016, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteCleaned up!  Not perfect, but patina is starting to grow on me...battle scares...they say "hey boy, do I have some stories for you!"

Patina makes a collectible interesting. It was made to be used. Mint is always desirable. But there is nothing wrong with Patina.... Nice job bring the old Sears reel back. It looks like it worked hard and deserves a good retirement............<:O)

coastal_dan

Thanks all...

Mike - I have 4x of the 11x 304. Higgins models.  These are fun to hunt for...I do have some duplicates but the search continues!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike - I have 4x of the 11x 304. Higgins models.  These are fun to hunt for...I do have some duplicates but the search continues!

The hunt is what it is all about.

mo65

:o !NEWSFLASH! Mo joins Trade Reel Guild :o

Hot dog! Finally found a decent deal on a Trade Reel...it's been tough out there. This Surf Angler was dry as the desert sand, just look at the bearing in the first photo. The handle knob had a smear of some cheap latex paint on it, and the second pic shows how my pocket knife scratched it right off. The last two shots are the finished project. This one has that "to die for" patina...that soft copper glow...the bronze showing through paper thin nickle. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

You did a great job detailing that reel Mo. Now you'll be forever hooked on those trade reels. I know the feeling well. :D :D :D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

coastal_dan

Sweet!  Be careful...these little guys are addicting...
Dan from Philadelphia...

mo65

Thanks guys. I can't believe all this time I thought those brown specks on these reel's handle knobs were the wood peeking through scuffs. Not at all! This knob is a plastic. The "pull out" free spool is kinda cool too. 8)

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks guys. I can't believe all this time I thought those brown specks on these reel's handle knobs were the wood peeking through scuffs. Not at all! This knob is a plastic. The "pull out" free spool is kinda cool too. Cool

Those early non-wood knobs are Hard Rubber, not plastic. They are a natural rubber product, the same material used on early Bowling Balls.

Beautiful save on that old Trade Reel. You are now officially addicted to reel collecting.

George4741

Here is a Schultz, which is a re-badged Penn LB60.  

Quote from: coastal_dan on November 18, 2016, 02:09:24 AM
Cleaned up!  Not perfect, but patina is starting to grow on me...battle scares...they say "hey boy, do I have some stories for you!"

I couldn't have said it better.  Here is the Schultz cleaned up with all of the original parts.

Quote from: coastal_dan on December 19, 2016, 04:56:53 PM
Sweet!  Be careful...these little guys are addicting...

No kidding!  I've also added a JC Higgins (another LB60) and an Atlantic 14 to my collection.  I like the size of these reels and they also fit nicely into my Long Beach collection.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

sdlehr

George, I have a handle like that on one of my LB's, I think that particular handle dates the reel to '38, but I'm not sure, but that handle is in great shape. Hopefully, Mike will chime in. I may be totally wrong about the year....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

coastal_dan

Very nice George! I'd like to get a Schultz at some point, I've bid on a few and always outbid..sometimes only by a buck or two  :'(

I have a soft spot for the J.C. Higgins Reels, three left to go in my little set.  I also love that Sears/J.C. Higgins created some neat fishing accessories from that time as well such as fighting belts, marketing/selling kits and literature, hooks, leader etc...I think they really add to a collection.  I'll see if I can get a photo at some point.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Tightlines667

Cool reel.  I too have been trying to aquire one.  I particularly like Brian's early 9/0 :)

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mo65

Quote from: sdlehr on June 27, 2017, 06:27:07 PM
I think that particular handle dates the reel to '38.

My '38 LB has that handle too guys...Mike was who identified it for me. Cool reel George! 8)

sdlehr

George, what does the left side of that reel look like? I'm guessing plain, the picture plates began either late 38 or early 39, I believe, so this could have either. But you didn't show it, so I'm guessing it's plain :) I'm assuming Penn changed the left plate of the trade reels the same year they changed the plate of the Penn-branded reels.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

George4741

Quote from: sdlehr on June 27, 2017, 09:44:53 PM
George, what does the left side of that reel look like? I'm guessing plain, the picture plates began either late 38 or early 39, I believe, so this could have either. But you didn't show it, so I'm guessing it's plain :) I'm assuming Penn changed the left plate of the trade reels the same year they changed the plate of the Penn-branded reels.

Sid

Here it is:

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 27, 2017, 06:52:39 PM
Cool reel.  I too have been trying to aquire one.  I particularly like Brian's early 9/0 :)

John

I also particularly like his 9/0.  I'll bet it is as rare as hens teeth. 

Quote from: coastal_dan on June 27, 2017, 06:29:59 PM

I have a soft spot for the J.C. Higgins Reels, three left to go in my little set.  I also love that Sears/J.C. Higgins created some neat fishing accessories from that time as well such as fighting belts, marketing/selling kits and literature, hooks, leader etc...I think they really add to a collection.  I'll see if I can get a photo at some point.

I'm also on the hunt for more of them. ;D   
viurem lliures o morirem