Penn Trade Reels

Started by coastal_dan, August 08, 2016, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Thanks, Dom and Mike. Dom, let us know your findings when Jack allows.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Oceanreels

This is a L.L. Bean 249 from 1942. You seldom see the reel. Has anyone seen this box before?  It looks like Penn made the reels with the L.L. Bean logo on them and sent the reels in the standard box to them. They then would add their tape to the boxes.

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Tightlines667

Wow!
:o :o :o

I think avid Penn collectors would agree that that box qualifies as 'rare'.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Deepennz

Hi  all,
I am seeking information on Abbey & Imbrie /Penn trade reels - specifically, what years did Penn produce these reels? The A&I logo on the front would appear to be in the 1939 style - were these reels produced into the '40's?
Any info would be reely appreciated.

Thank you
Martin

sdlehr

I don't think I've ever seen an A & I/Penn trade reel.....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

broadway

They did indeed. I've seen two AI trade reels and heard of one other. I'm not sure of the answer but my guess would be by the war they were done making them reels but it's tough because there haven't been many unearthed.
Dom

Deepennz

Thanks for the replies - there is a segment on A&I reels on page 5 of this thread - with 2 photo's of E Kramer's A&I 165 reel. I have just acquired an A&I 166/Penn LB66 reel but it is a bit of a frankenreel - with a '38 style handle, and some numbered parts internally!!
I want to replace all the wrong parts with era correct parts, hence my interest in production times.
The reel is being cleaned at the moment - I will (hopefully) post photo's in due course.

Martin

mo65

Here's the latest addition to my trade reel stable, it's a J.C. Higgins LB66. Hey Ted...does this one look familiar? 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

milne

Hi MO,
            That's a nice looking reel
     Congrats on your purchase.......

Col

Swami805

That reel looks almost new, the handle knob has a nice pattern too. Nice one!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Penn Chronology

Abbey & Imbrie even published the use of Penn reels as Trade reels. They are very hard to find but do exist out there somewhere. This catalog cull is representing the Penn Long Beach 65, 66 & 67. So that would be both the standard Long Beach frame and the large Long Beach frame. I am sure there are other models using the Abbey & Imbrie name. The production had to be very small all. This cull is taken from a 1940 Horricks & Ibbotson catalog.

milne

Hi Everyone, Time to get this interesting thread going again.

SO, I made an impulse purchase, and don't really know enough about what I have.
Some of the photo's here have been photobucket blocked, which makes it a tad hard to research.
Basically, what have I got here ?  
There are two sets of numbers, both on stickers, No 4088 and a Tyron one,K4083 ( hopefully the photo shot makes it clear. )
I guess really, would or is there anyway of knowing what brand reel would this box have been used for, maybe that's a bit of a stretch , as I do realise that Penn was not the only reel that Tyron used, for "trade" reels, so to speak.
It would be nice if my 33 kingfisher 300 yd ( seaford) was a match or a fit for the era, perhaps the numbers hold some significance.
I like the box regardless, didn't pay a kings ransom for it, it will require a wee bit of gusset strengthening, but over all as a shelfy, it's fine.
Any info would be appreciated

Col

Penn Chronology

QuoteSO, I made an impulse purchase, and don't really know enough about what I have.
Some of the photo's here have been photobucket blocked, which makes it a tad hard to research.
Basically, what have I got here ?  
There are two sets of numbers, both on stickers, No 4088 and a Tyron one,K4083 ( hopefully the photo shot makes it clear. )
I guess really, would or is there anyway of knowing what brand reel would this box have been used for, maybe that's a bit of a stretch , as I do realise that Penn was not the only reel that Tyron used, for "trade" reels, so to speak.
It would be nice if my 33 kingfisher 300 yd ( seaford) was a match or a fit for the era, perhaps the numbers hold some significance.
I like the box regardless, didn't pay a kings ransom for it, it will require a wee bit of gusset strengthening, but over all as a shelfy, it's fine.
Any info would be appreciated

Tough question. You would need a Tryon catalog or maybe find a collector with the same box that has the reel in it to absolutely know what model belongs in the box. These old Trade Reel boxes may have been used for reels from different makers.  A Penn or an Ocean City might use the same model number. I think the best way to find out is to look at other collectors collections. Maybe a package using this box is out there. Interesting quest....... I do not believe there are two numbers on the label. Looks to me like there is a part of the number missing on the sticker. I think both numbers are 4088.

I know that Tryon Model # 4047 is a 1933 Penn Sea Ford, that does not solve anything but it gives a feel that the Number on your box is in the vein of Penn and not too far off from a known unit.

Now you have digging. Here is a cull from a November, 1933 Penn Ledger page. Look at how close your box number is getting!

The other two pages are Dec., 1934 orders to Penn. It seems that the 1933 numbers relate closer to your box.

milne

Hi Mike,  Thank you for your response,
         And, good eye Sir.  I grabbed a magnifying glass and exactly as you suspected, there is a piece missing of the sticker, right thru
   that part that then made it look like a 3, rather than the 8 that it is.
  I did think the numbers may be the key, but had wasn't sure.
That does give me something to go on an and hopefully that number will turn up with a bit of research.
  At the minute, I shall pop that on the shelf ( soon to be built) along with my other Penn trade reels and continue on.
Just cleaning up a 300 yd kingfisher 3 poster, which looks like a seaford, koph clutch, no JK marking, ( apart from the number 1 on one plate)
Now that would have been just too easy for that one to be a match with the box   ;D
Thanks Mike, you've pointed me in the right direction.....

Col

oc1

but, didn't Ocean City make a Kingfisher reel about that size?  Could the Tryon number be just that; an in-house numbering system that included reels from more than one manufacturer?
-steve