Pound for pound, what is the hardest fighting fish in the world?

Started by Flounder Boy 3, August 09, 2016, 08:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

Without a doubt it's bonefish!!!
Never got to do the fly on the flats for them but when I was in the Bahamas they were doing that. I had brought a telescoping spinning rig and was trying to throw lures at the groupers with no success at all and I was fascinated by the skiffs working inside the reef for them. When those fly fishers got bit those things took off like nothing I've ever seen.

One of the cooks from the resort saw me staring at them with drooling eyes and said "You wanna catch bonefish mon?", I said yea but I'm not gonna pay for the guide svc, too much $$. He laughed and gave me a handful of shrimp chunks that they were using for sauté, and told me to just put it on a hook and chuck it into the sea grass. Well I caught 2 or 3, and they were a fraction of the size of what the fly fishers were catching, but man they flew around like they were being zapped with 500 volts of electricity. Incredible.

Caught a bunch of little needlefish too, toothy critters.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

oc1

I agree ninja.  I think it is because of the width of the fish from the caudal peduncle forward into the back.  When you look at the fish from the top it seems to have more muscle for propulsion in the read end. 
-steve

Decker

The bluefish is very strong.  I've had ones around 15 pounds snap 30 lb test mono on a run. 

Bill B

Some King Salmon observations...
A large King (25+) mouth hooked will pull like a tractor, but seems to tire quickly
A large King (25+) tail or belly hooked jumps more and fights longer
A small King (-10) doesnt pull very hard, but is really floppy on the surface at the boat, but this could be due to getting it to the boat quickly

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Indyfisher

Rancanfish

Yes, biggest hit and tug I ever got on 4lb test.  Seriously thought I had a record bass on the line. And the lake record is 18lbs.

He survived all day in the live well so we kept him as a pet in the aquarium for months.  ;D

He went nutzoid one day and banged into the glass until done.  I think he got some kind of parasite in his brain....
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

ez2cdave

nelz

Caught some Pompano today... wow, lb for lb, those little guys bring it!

Gfish

I've gotten some big spawning male bluegills that'ed turn sideways and make things fun, but for me the fight never lasted that long. Mabey I didn't fish for them in the right evironment. Several weeks ago, got my 1st ulua("GT"), only about 20 lbs., overmatched on 50 lb. test, but man! That gal(had eggs in her) wouldn't give up till the very end. No thrashin on the surface, no thrashin in the kayak. I think she gave everything she had before then.
So I replied before, that it was a bonefish and for fast strong runs it is, but for bulldogin durability it's them reef huntin uluas. Ethics wise this should be last n' only one I kill, and I don't feel right about havin killed this one.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Congrats.  A twenty pounder from a kayak must have been exciting.
-steve

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Tambaqui pound for pound is one of the hardest fighting fresh water fish according to Jeremy Wade of River Monsters and I agree. Was on one and thought it was a giant because that monster was peeling line but it was a 4 kilo on steroids.. :) :o

Rivverrat

Some day Ill get out on one of those boats to fish the fish you all speak of.

But of the fish I know pound for pound best fighter the lowly Rodney Dangerfield of fish
the Carp then the Wiper, Sunfish or what some you are calling bluegill.....Jeff

ez2cdave

Sorry, Guys . . . EVERYBODY has got it WRONG . . .

The HARDEST FIGHTING FISHING is, without any question, the "ONE THAT GOT AWAY" !!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING & Tight Lines !!!

boon

Quote from: Gfish on October 28, 2016, 08:35:45 PM
I've gotten some big spawning male bluegills that'ed turn sideways and make things fun, but for me the fight never lasted that long. Mabey I didn't fish for them in the right evironment. Several weeks ago, got my 1st ulua("GT"), only about 20 lbs., overmatched on 50 lb. test, but man! That gal(had eggs in her) wouldn't give up till the very end. No thrashin on the surface, no thrashin in the kayak. I think she gave everything she had before then.
So I replied before, that it was a bonefish and for fast strong runs it is, but for bulldogin durability it's them reef huntin uluas. Ethics wise this should be last n' only one I kill, and I don't feel right about havin killed this one.
Gfish

In the lagoon at Muri (Cook Islands) there are a bunch of GTs that hang around the jetty a couple of charter boats operate from. I would estimate the big ones at >100lb. The bursts of speed they could put on were incredible, great black-grey logs of muscle racing around. All I had with me was a 30lb spinning setup and I wasn't even going to bother flicking a lure at them, would have been a quick exercise in getting spooled.

fishgrain

cock-a-doodle doo

<=====

I don't have too many different species "notched" on my belt but for me it was the rooster