REEL RAVE (edit from alan - read this before you buy a high end spinner!)

Started by Toonafish, August 11, 2016, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonafish

Ok guy's am I alone on this? Most of us at one time or another want or will own a top end reel and we are going to spend BIG bucks to do so. The problem with this is once you finally decide which one you want and fits the budget you go ahead and pull the trigger and buy one. maybe sooner than later you have a problem with the reel and need it fixed or just simply need it serviced, possibly want to even service it yourself, the problem I am finding out is service center either will not service or fix a 800-1200 dollar reel you invested in because the parts have been discontinued or unavailable just a few short years after you made the big plunge, even better than that is these damb companies wont even supply the required oils or sprays to service them your self nor will they recommend or supply an alternative and in some cases go as far as voiding the warranty because you might have put a drop of brand x oil in it. I am referring to Two top Brands specifically : Shimano, Diawa. These companies have no problem selling to anywhere in the U.S. but absolutely refuse to supply there required lubes and sealant so you could enjoy many many years of pleasure by simply doing basic service on your own, even though their turnaround time to repair or service is outrageous!  Another thing that pisses me off is the fact that although the JDM and U.S. versions of the same reel with different letters or names share the exact same parts they refuse to service them although the come out of the same building at the same plant in the same country. If these guys refuse to do the required service with their specific oils, grease, and Magseal to maintain the overpriced product they sell, don't sell them to U.S. at all. What a Joke! Rave Over  >:(

Aiala

Best reason I've heard yet not to dump a grand for a coffeegrinder.   ::)

On the other hand, half a grand for a beautiful shiny gold Penn Torque coffeegrinder... well, that might be a different proposition.  ;)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

nelz

My problem with those expensive beauties is that they're too pretty to fish, lol.  ::) This makes repair a moot point... unless it's "magsealed"; apparently the oil wears out even if the reel's not used (as per Alan Hawk).

I dropped Shimano a long time ago due to parts being discontinued too soon. I own many Daiwas & Penns, parts have never been an issue, but now Daiwa has ruined things with this mag oil BS. I won't be buying any magsealed reels. Just saw a post from Alan Hawk reaching similar conclusions about magsealed reels.

thorhammer

Quote from: Aiala on August 11, 2016, 06:44:29 PM
Best reason I've heard yet not to dump a grand for a coffeegrinder.   ::)

On the other hand, half a grand for a beautiful shiny gold Penn Torque coffeegrinder... well, that might be a different proposition.  ;)

~A~

After seeing Torques being made at the Penn plant, I want them all. Wouldn't own a Stella.

MarkT

Daiwa Saltiga's (and others with magsealed bearings) aren't serviceable!  Just say no.  Shimano drops support for their reels a couple of years after they come out with a new rev.  Both of you want us to drop a grand for a shiny paperweight?  Not me!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Toonafish

I use both, I believe the spinner and the level winds both have a specific purpose, but the marketing scheme that these companies have is ridiculous, Okuma on the otherhand maintains a 5 yr. warranty,"the others 1" there service is hands down the best in the business and they will retain that for the new line of Mak. spinners. Make a statement to the others and dump them. These guy's must at least make the products available to do self service and maintain the critical parts to keep them working, hell many of the reels use the same part's but you think they would cross reference them, Heck No, something as simple as a washer or bearing that is probably used in multiple application wont carry the same part number. It's just a %^$#@&*^! scheme!! secret Mag oil what a bunch of B.S.

Toonafish

Quote from: MarkT on August 11, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
Daiwa Saltiga's (and others with magsealed bearings) aren't serviceable!  Just say no.  Shimano drops support for their reels a couple of years after they come out with a new rev.  Both of you want us to drop a grand for a shiny paperweight?  Not me!
Ya no kidding a "discontinued" 5 dollar part will shelf it.

Bryan Young

This is the reason why I so love the original Penn's SS series.  Sure the bling isn't as great, but do you realize how many good and solid spare parts I can buy for $1k?  Sure it will take a little hunting, but I'm sure I can find it.

But the Stella and the Twin Drag are soooooo smooooth... what's not to love about those reels...until it breaks.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Toonafish

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 11, 2016, 08:40:55 PM
This is the reason why I so love the original Penn's SS series.  Sure the bling isn't as great, but do you realize how many good and solid spare parts I can buy for $1k?  Sure it will take a little hunting, but I'm sure I can find it.

But the Stella and the Twin Drag are soooooo smooooth... what's not to love about those reels...until it breaks.
The service, I mean lack of.

foakes

You are not alone, TF --

Most of us feel as you do.

The real culprit here is probably the modern Corporate Model -- that puts bottom line profit percentages, shareholder dividends, and market share -- above quality, integrity, pride in workmanship -- plus feeding the Consumer's flame of desire to have the latest, greatest, and sharpest looking product that they have somehow convinced us we need.

Just a little perspective, history, for what it is worth, and just my personal opinion --

At one time, Shimano, a trusted and honorable company in Japan offered stellar customer service, parts availability, and solid products.  That is not true anymore...

Daiwa was also a solid company -- while offering way too many variations and models of reels over the years -- stood behind their products -- plus supported their service dealers by publishing "Part Interchangeability Cross Reference Manuals".  These were detailed, and very useful -- I still refer back to these.  This is not true anymore...

Of course, don't forget all of the reel companies that have either merged, been taken over by super large, Mega Corporations, or just gone out of business.  These large firms run the world -- and as these smaller companies are required to maintain certain profit levels, after selling their Soul to the Devil -- they sometimes are required to break promises, trust, and good will with consumers.  Mitchell, Quick, Ryobi, Shakespeare, Pflueger, Ocean City, and dozens of others.

Mergers, take-overs (hostile, friendly, or necessary), and just discontinuing products or support -- is the new way of Global Corporate Economics.

This is not unique to the fishing tackle industry -- take a look at automobiles -- Delorean, Saturn, Jaguar, Mercury, Oldsmobile, International, AMC, and many others -- are gone.

Then how about another expensive item -- electronics and computers?  How often have we upgraded our operating system, hardware, or software -- just to find that all of our printers, scanners, expensive software programs, etc. -- are basically worthless...

There are still some very good companies out there in the tackle market -- Penn, Okuma, Avet, Accurate, and a few others.  However, do not expect even these great companies to be immune from the same bad issues we have experienced with other companies.

Nothing is forever.

For me, even if I could afford to clamp a $1000+ reel to the south end of a rod -- I could not justify that.

In recalling that many larger fish than we land today, were caught on basic, quality, solid, old and proven gear -- I realize that the fish haven't changed -- but we have allowed ourselves to be manipulated by the Corporations.

For me -- hopefully, using a common sense approach of either upgrading or building my own reels of good quality -- will be enough.

Again, just my viewpoints and opinions...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

The 16 and 14/0 fit that price tag Fred. Its only money. ;)
Life is Good!

nelz

You said it Fred, computer gear is the WORST!!!

Swami805

It's getting to be true about all products. Our washing machine broke and it was the mother board or something. $500 bucks to fix it and they wouldn't guarantee that it would work. All these stupid features that no one really needs, just more stuff to break so they can sell you a new one.
How about cars? Back up cameras? How about a window you can see out of and turning your head around. A car that parks itself? Really?  Parking used to be on the drivers test, can't park, no license.
I get a kick out of watching news footage from Cuba, seeing all the old cars. They couldn't get new ones so they just kept fixing the old ones, seemed to work out pretty well for them.
Fishing reels are no different for the most part. Big corporations doing whatever they can to feed the beast.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Jerseymic

Don't start me off about all this modern stuff, I don't even use a mobile phone ;D

Computer for basics and that is it.

When our current car comes to the end of its time, I am seriously considering finding an old classic car, just basic mechanics and electrics, easy to work on at home.

Mike,

U.K.

alantani

this......

Quote from: Toonafish on August 11, 2016, 05:34:12 PM
Ok guy's am I alone on this? Most of us at one time or another want or will own a top end reel and we are going to spend BIG bucks to do so. The problem with this is ........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!